diskshadow.exe
I am attempting to copy some files from a windows 2008 server using diskshadow. I am using the following script: #DiskShadow script file set context persistent nowriters set metadata c:\copydata\backup.cab set verbose on begin backup add volume c: alias SystemVolumeShadow add volume d: alias DataVolumeShadow create expose %SystemVolumeShadow% p: expose %DataVolumeShadow% q: exec c:\copydata\backupscript.cmd end backup delete shadows exposed p: delete shadows exposed q: #End of script if i use xcopy in c:\copydata\backupscript.cmd I get "access denied" errors along with "0 files copied" however the files and datestamps are copied, but not the contents of the files. if i use robocopy in c:\copydata\backupscript.cmd I get no errors however nothing is copied. Is there a command which will copy files from a shadow copy created with diskshadow in the same manner as xcopy could be used with shadow copies created with vshadow.exe. Alternatively if there was a way I can select a nas drive as the target for a backup using "Windows Server Backup" as that would do instead. Thanks in advance for your assistance
June 12th, 2012 11:52am

Hi, I would suggest trying the following syntax: robocopy X:\shadowcopy\dir\dir Y:\dir /S /XJ /COPY:DAT /NFL /NDL /w:0 /r:0 The header information: I am copying only the dir/dir directories (change as required)X being the source driveY being the destination drive*.* indicates to copy all files/NDL suppresses directory listings to the console/NFL suppresses file listings to the console/S copies the source folder and all sub folders and files/COPY:DAT copies data, attributes and timestamps/XJ exclude junction points/R:0 number of retries on failed copies (in other words -do not re try - Edit to taste)/W:0 wait between retries Kind Regards, Martin Credit: Richard DIf you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 12th, 2012 1:26pm

Hi, I would suggest trying the following syntax: robocopy X:\shadowcopy\dir\dir Y:\dir /S /XJ /COPY:DAT /NFL /NDL /w:0 /r:0 The header information: I am copying only the dir/dir directories (change as required)X being the source driveY being the destination drive*.* indicates to copy all files/NDL suppresses directory listings to the console/NFL suppresses file listings to the console/S copies the source folder and all sub folders and files/COPY:DAT copies data, attributes and timestamps/XJ exclude junction points/R:0 number of retries on failed copies (in other words -do not re try - Edit to taste)/W:0 wait between retries Kind Regards, Martin Credit: Richard DIf you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
June 12th, 2012 1:26pm

Thanks for your response. The robocopy syntax you suggested was essentially what I was doing. I re run the same batch file the following day and this time it performed as expected. A bit worrying that the same code produces different results on different days, but at least it works now. So thanks again.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 18th, 2012 4:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics