disabling Netbios in 2008 R2 Foundation
Hi I have this 'disk or network error' with one pc running win 7, it doed not happen with other pcs running w2k and xp. I read in a post of a similar issue and resolved it when he disabled netbios in the server. I disabled netbios, checked IPv6 (I unchecked it when I promoted it to DC) on the server, rebooted, and all ended up wrong, AD, DNS, DHCP were posting error messages. So, I enabled netbios, unchecked IPv6, rebooted, but the errors continued. But after a few hours, I dcdiag it again and all was ok... thank god.. Can I disable Netbios? I have only w2ks, xp and one win7 on our network. Why all the errors? Advice appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Richard
June 1st, 2011 9:58pm

Yes, you can disable Netbios over TCP/IP if you want, but I expect that you will need it with XP and W2K guests. You will soon find out if any of your applications need it, because they will fail. IPv6 has nothing to do with Netbios because Netbios is not supported in IPv6. (That is one reason why the network discovery and file sharing has changed in Win 7). AD, DNS and DHCP don't really need Netbios, but lots of old application programs certainly do. I can't comment on "all these errors" since you didn't tell us what they were. Since you are running a mix of Win 7 and XP/W2k I think that you will need Netbios over TCP/IP. XP/W2k do not understand the network discovery and file sharing methods of Win 7/Server 2008, so you really need all machines to use the old NT style methods, and that requires Netbios over TCP/IP and the computer browser service. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2011 12:08am

HI Bill Thanks for taking time to help. what you said should explain the "Disk or Network Error" I keep getting on the Win7 running ms access, when there is no problem with xp/w2k clients. Would you have a way of solving this disk or network error? It happens only when the win7 machine is left idle, no errors when I am working on it. I think it is the network discovery and file sharing methods or Win7/Server 2008. How could I make the discovery consistent. Many thanks again for your help Richard
June 2nd, 2011 1:01am

Hi Richard, Thank you for your post. In addition to Bill, could you please provide these error messages "Disk or Network Error" in detail ? Error ID or description form event log is preferred. For more information about Microsoft Computer Browser Service: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001/en-us Best Regards, James Zou
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 3rd, 2011 1:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics