disable wpad DNS querys completly

Hi forum,

My platform is W2k8 with IE8. I want completly disable wpad.domain.com DNS queries cause my enviroment is not using any proxy. I tried:

- disable "automatically detect network settings" with GPO within IE lansettings

- disable "use automatic configuraiton script" with GPO within IE lansettings

- removed and disabled proxy server settings

- stopped and disabled "WebDav Client Redirector Driver service", "WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service", "webclient"

"Netsh winhttp show proxy" tells me "Direct access (no proxy server)." but when a user is logging on to the server i see wpad queryies and http connects to wpad server with wireshark.

Any hints?

Best Regards,

Andreas

• Moved by Kristin L. GriffinMVP Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:55 PM not an RDS specific question (From:Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services))
July 20th, 2011 5:59pm

Hi,

Please double check the following troubleshooting steps:

1.    Uncheck “Automatically detect settings” of Local Area Network (LAN) Settings in Internet Options.

2.    Disable the service “WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service” in Services.

3.    Disable devolution by setting UseDomainNameDevolution value under the following registry entry to 0 (FALSE):

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Regards,

Forum Support
Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact
 tnmff@microsoft.com . 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2011 4:20am

doublechecked, but issue still exists.

Regards,

Andreas

July 21st, 2011 2:59pm

Hi,

Please check if there is 252 option on DHCP server. Please also check if there is a WPAD record on your DNS server. If there are, please remove them.

Regards,

Scott Xie

July 29th, 2011 3:29am

Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

Forum Support
Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact
tnmff@microsoft.com.

August 4th, 2011 6:07am

Hi !

Check all GP policy for Internet Explorer and remove clear "Automatically detect settings" then goto on yours DHCP server and check client and server options on DHCP server and try to find WPAD or 252 Code, if exist WPAD or 252 Code then remove it.

Best Regards

August 4th, 2011 6:34am

Did you ever figure this out? I have done all the above, yet my clients still query for wpad on bootup and random times throughout the day.
September 5th, 2015 12:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics