difference between hyper V and VMware
difference between hyper V and VMware I am looking simple differences I know about the product. second question installing Hyper V means need to install Operating system like standard, enterprise, datacenter and install Hyper V ? incase if operating crashes how hyper V will works
August 23rd, 2015 8:06am

When you are tired by comparing Hyper-V and VMware features you will end up with simple questions. What do you need and how much does it cost. Hyper-V and VMware do almost the same. Only features have different names. IMHO VMware is always on one step forward than Microsoft because Virtualization is main direction historically. Microsoft builds Operating System for many purposes including virtualization as well.

Answering your first question about simple differences I can say that main difference is in Licensing. In Windows Server there are 2 editions Standard and Datacenter. From virtualization prospective Standard covers host and 2 Windows VM's licenses. Datacenter covers unlimited Windows VM's guest licenses.

Thus your choice really depends on what infrastructure you currently have or planning to build. If it will be for example 2 hosts hosting 100 Windows Server VM's answer is obvious. It is 2 datacenter licenses and that's it. While VMware will require to license all 100 Windows guests so it becomes really expensive.

Microsoft also has Windows Hyper-V server edition. It is free hypervisor, looks like windows server core. In this case you will have to license each windows server VM individually.

What about high availability Hyper-V relies on Failover Cluster service. In case of host crash VM's will failover to second host. If you have single server deployment you will need to maintain server backup so in case of crash you can restore from backup.

That's simple explanation without technical details.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 23rd, 2015 4:53pm

I don't think you are going to find a checklist, though you can try searching both TechNet and VMware.  As Slava says, many features are the same but each vendor assigns a different name. I would not necessarily agree with Slava, though, when he states that " VMware is always on one step forward than Microsoft because Virtualization is main direction historically".  For the early releases, I would have agreed.  But for current releases and what I have seen coming, it is really hard to make such a statement.  Microsoft has many innovations that VMware is trying to catch up on.  VMware is still innovating on its product.  That's the benefit to the customer of competition.  Microsoft is invested very heavily in virtualization with its public cloud, Azure, which is running Hyper-V.  Microsoft is constantly innovating to address the needs of all its customers, and Azure is a big customer.

The biggest difference between the two is cost.  If you are going to be running Windows Server, there is no cost for Hyper-V, but there is a cost for VMware.  So however much it costs to license VMware in that environment is the incremental cost for VMware.  After that you get into management tools, but that is a completely different question.

"second question installing Hyper V means need to install Operating system like standard, enterprise, datacenter and install Hyper V ? incase if operating crashes how hyper V will works"

This is a misunderstanding of how a Type-1 hypervisor works.  Both ESXi and Hyper-V are type-1 hypervisors.  This means that the hypervisor is in control of the hardware.  So the question is answered the same for both environments.  In case of HYPERVISOR crash, how will [things] work?  Basically the same for both environments.  If the hypervisor crashes in either environment, the whole system goes down.  At that point you need to start looking at what else is provided as part of the system.  Windows includes failover clustering.  VMware has that as an additional component (read that as additional cost).  But HA is also another completely different question.

August 24th, 2015 11:14am

Thanks HA and DFS used in VMware for redundancy  for instance I have multiple EXSI host if any host goes download (planned or unplanned) VM will move into another host so what is logic in Hyper V? 
August 24th, 2015 12:42pm

The same, if a host goes down the VM is recovered on another.

Also remember, with Hyper-V HA and DR features continue to work without a management layer (such as vCenter / vSphere).

They all offer a common set of virtualization / hypervisor features.  Yes, the implementations are also different.

Look at what you are trying to achieve, not nit-pick the technology / implementation.

August 24th, 2015 2:04pm

Biggest difference: Hyper-V is a product, VMware is a company.

Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 is what you would compare to ESXi.  Both are free, GUI-less and run directly on the hardware.  Hyper-V server has no Windows component.

• Edited by smjain 8 hours 48 minutes ago edit
August 24th, 2015 6:09pm

Biggest difference: Hyper-V is a product, VMware is a company.

Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 is what you would compare to ESXi.  Both are free, GUI-less and run directly on the hardware.  Hyper-V server has no Windows component.

• Edited by smjain Monday, August 24, 2015 10:14 PM edit
August 24th, 2015 10:07pm

Kindly elaborate "  Both are free" means what?
August 24th, 2015 10:33pm

Hi Cabpeter,

Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 is free.

As far as I know, there are free versions of EXSI. About the detailed information, we could contact VMware for better help:
http://www.vmware.com/support.html

Best Regards,

Leo

August 25th, 2015 10:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics