date format and implementation

I have the following script  

@cStartDateIn CHAR(10) = '01/01/9999', -- dtmManualRunBeginDate in the DTS Global Variables paid date
@cEndDateIn   CHAR(10) = '01/01/9999', -- dtmManualRunEndDate in the DTS Global Variables
@cStartDtIncr CHAR(10) = '01/01/9999', -- incurred date
@cEndDtIncr   CHAR(10) = '01/01/9999',
@StartDateOut CHAR(10) = '01/01/9999' OUTPUT,
@EndDateOut CHAR(10) =  '01/01/9999' OUTPUT

--SET @sRunDt = @cLastRunDate           
   SET @dtDateStart    = CAST(@cStartDateIn AS DATETIME)
   SET @dtDateEnd      = CAST(@cEndDateIn AS DATETIME)
   SET @dtDateStartInc = CAST(@cStartDtIncr AS DATETIME)
   SET @dtDateEndInc   = CAST(@cEndDtIncr AS DATETIME)

IF @cFreq = 'M'
       BEGIN
        SET @dtDateStart  =  DATEADD(mm, DATEDIFF(mm,0,@CurDt) - 1, 0) -- First day of previous month
        SET @dtDateEnd =  DATEADD(ms,-3,DATEADD(mm, DATEDIFF(mm,0,@CurDt), 0)) --Last day of previous month
        SET @dtDateStartInc = '01/01/2014'
        SET @dtDateEndInc   = @dtDateEnd

that runs between the first and last day in a month now I want it to run from 

01/01/2014 to the 5th of every month how do I implement that?

and the script is filtered by this date time field

WHERE (     clh.CLHDRLastActnDate BETWEEN @dtDateStart   AND @dtDateEnd

This 

March 30th, 2015 7:07pm

Can you specify your requirements in detail? Thanks.

Here is a date sequence generator:

DECLARE @Start DATE ='20140105'; 

WITH ctesequence ( seqno) 

AS (SELECT 0 

UNION ALL 

SELECT seqno + 1 

FROM   ctesequence 

WHERE  seqno < 12 - 1) 

SELECT [FifthOfMonth]=Dateadd(mm, seqno, @Start) 

FROM   ctesequence;
/*
FifthOfMonth
2014-01-05
2014-02-05
2014-03-05
2014-04-05
2014-05-05
2014-06-05
2014-07-05
2014-08-05
2014-09-05
2014-10-05
2014-11-05
2014-12-05
*/

Avoid string dates as much as possible.  Use DATE/DATETIME instead.  Use ANSI date literal format.

Example: 

@cStartDateIn DATE = '99990101'

DATE/TIME functions: http://www.sqlusa.com/bestpractices/datetimeconversion/

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2015 7:46pm

Hi Dre01,

I see pieces of code and no script

1. Please post the script that you are using instead of explaining it. we know how to read code :-)

If your script use any table then please post queries to create the relevant tables and insert some sample data for testing and discussion.

2. Basically you will need to use a numbers table or a dates table (those are accessories tables that you should create in each instance for improving queries like this one). Using the numbers/date table you can select all the dates that you need (from the 01/01/2014 to the 5th) and using cross apply with your original query you can execute the query on those dates

* by the way, you can get those dates dynamically each execution using loop (as Kalman did, using recursive CTE), but it is better to use numbers/dates tables for most cases. In any case since you need only 5 specific values (from the 01/01/2014 to the 5th) you can just use hard coded values like this:

DECLARE @Start DATE ='20140105'; 
WITH ctesequence ( seqno) 
     AS (SELECT * from (VALUES (1),(2),(3),(4),(5))T(s)) 
SELECT [FifthOfMonth]=Dateadd(mm, seqno, @Start) 
FROM   ctesequence;

* In any case there is no need to loop :-)

March 31st, 2015 1:33am

The file will be sent on the 5th day of each month to xxxx FTP and placed in a folder .

Each time the extract is run, data will be included from 01/01/2014 to date of extract because this is a snapshot of the data.

The varables I have above is from a template but the template is built for various frequency of run e.g Quaterly(Q)

Annually(A)--

But the one I posted was based on a monthly run hence

IF @cFreq = 'M'
       BEGIN
        SET @dtDateStart  =  DATEADD(mm, DATEDIFF(mm,0,@CurDt) - 1, 0) -- First day of previous month
        SET @dtDateEnd =  DATEADD(ms,-3,DATEADD(mm, DATEDIFF(mm,0,@CurDt), 0)) --Last day of previous month
        SET @dtDateEndInc   = @dtDateEn

But to tailor it to my requirement it is from 01/01/2014 to the 5th of current month.

March 31st, 2015 3:25pm

and the variable curr date is 

DECLARE  @CurDt                 DATETIME 

SELECT @CurDt          = GETDATE() 

March 31st, 2015 3:27pm

This is my main interest

March 31st, 2015 3:31pm

I am thinking its going to be

IF @cFreq = 'M'
       BEGIN
        SET @dtDateStart  =  '01/01/2014'
        --DATEADD(mm, DATEDIFF(mm,0,@CurDt) - 1, 0) -- First day of previous month
        SET @dtDateEnd =  @CurDt
        --dateadd(ms,-3,DATEADD(mm, DATEDIFF(mm,0,@CurDt), 0)) --Last day of previous month
        SET @dtDateEndInc   = @dtDateEnd
       END   

March 31st, 2015 3:50pm

In addition to what the others are already helping you with. You don't want to use "BETWEEN" with dates. You can google for the specifics as there are already a ton of posts detailing why, but high level - you could end up skipping data that you would want retrieved based on how "BETWEEN" interacts with date datatypes.
March 31st, 2015 3:57pm

Good day Dre01,

Did you read my response?

March 31st, 2015 5:35pm

>> I have the following script  <,

how soon can you fix this mess? The data type prefixes are a design flaw called a tibble; they violate the basic rule that we do not mix data and meta data in a schema. Please learn the basic ISO-11179 naming rules. 

Next, we have a DATE datatype in T-SQL, which matches ANSI/ISO Standard SQL. Why CHAR(10)? We used strings in 1970's COBOL! The one and only date display format is ISO-8601, which means yyyy-mm-dd; but you picked an ambiguous local dialect! This

Finally, SQL is a declarative language, so we do not like to use local variables. We aklso hate loops and if-then logic. Why cast the strings to the old Sybase DATETIME and not even the current DATETIME2(0)when you are using DATE? 

There is no generic (start_date, end_date) in RDBMS; it has to be an attribute to something in particular. When you said dt in what the ISO-11179 standards call the role, I read this as short for delirium tremens alcohol withdrawal. I used to work health care and criminal justice. Also, a column is not a field; the only place this term is used in SQL is as the components in temporal data types. 

Since SQL is a database language, we prefer to do look ups and not calculations. They can be optimized while temporal math messes up optimization. A useful idiom is a report period calendar that everyone uses so there is no way to get disagreements in the DML.

The report period table gives a name to a range of dates that is common to the entire enterprise. Your weird date range is a minor problem, but here is a quick guess at it. 

CREATE TABLE Months_Since_2014
(months_since_2014_name CHAR(10) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
   CHECK (months_since_2014_name LIKE ??),
 month_5_start_date DATE NOT NULL,
 month_5_end_date DATE NOT NULL,
  CONSTRAINT date_ordering
    CHECK (month_5_start_date <= month_5_end_date),
 etc);

These report periods can overlap or have gaps. You can use a BETWEEN with this table is you do it right. 
March 31st, 2015 5:42pm

If the end date is the 5th of every month, then it would be:

DECLARE @day VARCHAR(2)
SET @day='05'
SELECT 
	CAST (CAST(YEAR(GETDATE()) AS VARCHAR) 
	+ '-' + 
	CAST(MONTH(GETDATE()) AS VARCHAR)
	+ '-' + 
	@day  AS DATETIME) AS Enddate

Thanks & Regards,

Praveena.

April 1st, 2015 12:25pm

I am using what we call a common table based on what is used in the table for frequency e,g 'Y' for Year,D for Days, and in my case 'M' for Months.

IF @cFreq = 'M'
       BEGIN
        SET @dtDateEndInc   = @dtDateEn

But we missed the first 3 months and they want from the first of January to the last day of last month.

What is the modification to this

Thanks.

April 10th, 2015 12:46pm

Don't border folks I got it.

Thanks

April 10th, 2015 1:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics