database snapshots still remains in database after last CheckDB

hello

Our last CheckDB failed on the 02/09. We were having problems with our SAN then and that got sorted out. The databases that it failed still has the snapshot showing in SQL Management Studio, screenshot exemple below (server name blanked out)

I reran CheckDB on the 04/09 on all the databases and the same databases that failed on the 02/09 failed again. I noticed in the log file, it tried to use the same snapshot file created on  02/09 to run CheckBD

I ran CheckDB manually on the databases that failed "DBCC CheckDB (WSS_Content_ce) with all_errormsgs" and did not get any errors back. 

How do I remove the snapshot databases? We had a problem on 02/09 so the snapshot copy obvisouly has problems. I'd like to remove these snapshots and rerun a CheckDB on all the databases to ensure all is ok.

Thank you all in advance

September 5th, 2015 7:56pm

Running Check DB creates a snapshot internally. It will not create a Physical DB as snapshot. If you think you donot require that DB you could delete it. CheckDB runs against databases that we mention and never create a duplicate one because of that
September 5th, 2015 8:53pm

If you checkDb is part of a job, check the job carefully to understand what is happening.

Read the below post to understand about internal snapshot..

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176064.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 5th, 2015 8:55pm

If you checkDb is part of a job, check the job carefully to understand what is happening.

Read the below post to understand about internal snapshot..

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176064.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

September 5th, 2015 11:30pm

hello

Our last CheckDB failed on the 02/09. We were having problems with our SAN then and that got sorted out. The databases that it failed still has the snapshot showing in SQL Management Studio, screenshot exemple below (server name blanked out)

I reran CheckDB on the 04/09 on all the databases and the same databases that failed on the 02/09 failed again. I noticed in the log file, it tried to use the same snapshot file created on  02/09 to run CheckBD

I ran CheckDB manually on the databases that failed "DBCC CheckDB (WSS_Content_ce) with all_errormsgs" and did not get any errors back. 

How do I remove the snapshot databases? We had a problem on 02/09 so the snapshot copy obvisouly has problems. I'd like to remove these snapshots and rerun a CheckDB on all the databases to ensure all is ok.

Thank you all in advance

What you have shown is not a snapshot are you sure about this ? Checkdb does not creates snapshot DB likes one you have shown. The snapshot created by checkdb is internal one and you cannot see it untill 2012. You can see it from 2014 onwards.

IIRC this is database created by sharepoint

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2015 1:37am

hello

Thank you all in advance

What you have shown is not a snapshot are you sure about this ? Checkdb does not creates snapshot DB likes one you have shown. The snapshot created by checkdb is internal one and you cannot see it untill 2012. You can see it from 2014 onwards.

IIRC this is database created by shar

September 6th, 2015 2:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics