create a shared folder via GPO
Hello all, We are trying to use GPO to share a local folder on client machines. All the clients have the same folder structure. We would like to be able to share the folder and add certain permissions to that folder. Everything we have tried with the GPO have failed. Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated. We are running server 2008 for the DC and have a mix of XP and 7 for clients.
May 15th, 2013 2:18pm

Am 15.05.2013 13:18, schrieb Gianfurg77: > Everything we have tried with the GPO have failed. So, please tell us: WHAT did you try, and how did it fail? NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs? Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich ber eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 15th, 2013 11:17pm

Hi, Please check this MS article: Folder Redirection http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781907(v=ws.10).aspx Hope this helps. Regards.Vivian Wang TechNet Community Support
May 16th, 2013 10:30am

Hello Martin From looking at the GPO we have only found the ability to set permissions on folders. We have not found a way to share a local folder on a client. The only way we have found is to log into each client and manually share the folder. But this is difficult when we have 50+ clients, some may be over looked.
May 16th, 2013 2:46pm

> We have not found a way to share a local folder on a client. Computer configuration - Settings - Windows-Settings - Shared folder. NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs? Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich ber eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
May 16th, 2013 4:30pm

Thank you martin, we were able to share a local folder with the GPO setting. But how do you limit access to a certain person or group? When setting a share locally you can set the permission of the share to a person or group, but i do not see that option in GPO. I know i can set the security permission with GPO and set network access via GPO. This will not work for our setup.
May 17th, 2013 4:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics