converting basic to dynamic - application effects
Hi all, i have some unallocated space on basic disk. there is only disk0 i have. and i need to extend one partition which is not next to unallocated space. so when i right click the extend volume option is greyed out in windows 2008 R2. after going through all possibilities, i decided to change the basic disk to dynamic disk and then it is possible to extend the partition. but what are the effects of converting from basic disk to dynamic disk. there are partitions stores database files. what is the effect on database? what is effect on applications? will drive letters change? this is a very critical server. i dont want to crash application access to these partition. kindly guide. Regards, parkar UAE
May 22nd, 2012 9:31am

Converting the disk will have zero impact on application compatibility or performance. However, I don't agree with the approach. If this is a critical server, disk 0 should contain the OS with hardware RAID support. A second volume should be presented to Windows based on RAID set so that mutiple spindles are used on the backend for performance etc. I personally do not recommend using dynamic disks 99% of the time. I would only use this in combination with VERITAS software. Stick with basic MBR or GPT when possible, keep it simple.Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 22nd, 2012 10:12am

yes i agree to your points, actually this is vmware virtual server and disk is presented from datastore. so it is single disk. it is single .vmdk disk from datastore. datastore size is 500 GB. but disk size is little bit less say 450 GB. there was a problem with partitions. partitions are getting full. so we expanded the disk and now there is unallocated space(50 Gb). so this unallocated space is coming from total 500 GB space but still i cannot simply right click the partition and extend the volume. since it is in the middle and not next to unallocated space. i have done a test and found done converting dynamic disk will solve the problem. this question is also in vmware forum. i think i will go ahead and change to dynamic disk. let see thanks for reply Regards, parkar UAE
May 23rd, 2012 1:08am

converting from basic disk to dynamic disk, then you can extend the partition easily is there a build-in function for extend dynamic in windows 2008 R2? if no, 3rd party partition manager is your best choice, i know one called minitool partition wizard, maybe you can have a try. good luck, ;0
May 23rd, 2012 3:43am

converting from basic disk to dynamic disk, then you can extend the partition easily is there a build-in function for extend dynamic in windows 2008 R2? if no, 3rd party partition manager is your best choice, i know one called minitool partition wizard, maybe you can have a try. good luck, ;0
May 23rd, 2012 3:49am

I very high recommended to you that you use ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR application for converting you disk to dynamic instead of windows server 2008 built-in tools. I experienced same problem before and all of my data losts. You can solve your problem by using it easily without effecting other files and applications and configuration. Be succeed!Hassan Kamalkhani MCSES2003 http://technotes.blog.com
May 23rd, 2012 7:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics