configure windows 2003/08 server such a way that none user can install license software on the system.
I have a question, is there anyway to configure windows 2003/08 server such a way that none user can install license software on the system. Note: I want to let the user to install software but not the license(product-key or crack). freeware(Browsers,media players,free tools etc) can be installed. please revert suggestions. Amol kuber System Admin, Pune, india.amol
January 6th, 2011 5:20am

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:15:14 +0000, ammy123 wrote: I have a question, is there anyway to configure windows 2003/08 server such a way that none user can install license software on the system. Note: I want to let the user to install software but not the license(product-key or crack). freeware(Browsers,media players,free tools etc) can be installed. please revert suggestions. I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to do here. Let's say I'm a user and I want to install Microsoft Office on a computer. Do you want me to be able to install the software but not be able to specify the product key during the installation? If that's what you're trying to do, then no, you can't do something like that. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device? Save energy: Drive a smaller shell.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 6th, 2011 5:34am

Unfortunately, there is not certain way for the OS to separate licensed software and freeware. You can either restrict all software from installing/running or permit everything.MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor
January 6th, 2011 5:57am

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:55:46 +0000, WindowsNT.LV wrote: You can either restrict all software from installing/running or permit everything. With technologies like AppLocker this is not correct. Still doesn't meet the need of allowing a user to install software but not enter a product key but it certainly allows a lot more control than what you state above. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device? Don't let the computer bugs bite!
January 6th, 2011 7:24am

Not really. Some software that requires to be licensed does not require entering product key, though. With Applocker/SRP you cannot distinguish exactly if the certain piece of software will require a license to be run in certain environment. So, I would block everyhting with SRP/Applocker and disable restrictions sometimes for certain installations performed by authorized personnel. MCITP: Enterprise Administrator; MCT; Microsoft Security Trusted Advisor
January 6th, 2011 9:49am

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 14:47:42 +0000, WindowsNT.LV wrote: Not really. Some software that requires to be licensed does not require entering product key, though. With Applocker/SRP you cannot distinguish exactly if the certain piece of software will require a license to be run in certain environment. So, I would block everyhting with SRP/Applocker and will disable it for certain installations performed by authorized personnel. You need to look at what I quoted from your original post before you tell me that I'm wrong. You stated: "You can either restrict all software from installing/running or permit everything." and that simply is not true. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device? E Pluribus UNIX.
January 6th, 2011 10:09am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics