configuration as a simple database backp server

I have a domain on my local subnet. The domain controller also serves as an application server as well as a host for IIS and SQL Server host. I now want to add a backup server. The backup server will store configuration files (a script copies the files when they change) and the backup SQL server. We use log shipping to backup the primary database.

I want to use Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 for the OS on the backup server. It wants to setup as a domain controller. Will it work as my backup server?

Any guidance pointers will be appreciated.

Mike

September 3rd, 2015 10:26pm

Essentials only functions to backup workstations, not other servers.

To get it to work to backup workstations, you cancel out of the wizard and join it to the domain, but I don't think it will work for what you want it to be.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 11:12pm

You would be better off with just plain Server Standard joined to the domain and setup to receive those backups to a share or whatever.
September 4th, 2015 5:21am

I want to use Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 for the OS on the backup server. It wants to setup as a domain controller. Will it work as my backup server?

No, if Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 is in the domain it has to be the PDC.

September 4th, 2015 10:13am

No it does not have to be a PDC, it just has to see a domain controller.
September 4th, 2015 10:25am

I think If the OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials it has to be PDC.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn281793.aspx

But if you have a standard server with Essentials Experience Role installed on it then it need not be a PDC.

September 4th, 2015 10:51am

I am officially confused.

I am just looking for it to be a repository for files. Not a recovery system.

I want to push or pull files from another system ( a PDC ) . If the other system crashes the customer can recover the data.

Even if it must set itself up as a domain controller, is there anything that prevents the another domain from logging on and sending files?

September 4th, 2015 10:55am

You can use any Server to store the Backup files.

But its just if you are going to use Windows Server Essentials for it, PDC will change in the environment.

September 4th, 2015 11:13am

Cancel out of the wizard, add it to the domain and it stays a member server and does not change the pdc I think plain server will be a better fit for what you want
September 4th, 2015 11:19am

Duh I'm thinking storage server.

Okay he's right, Essentials the SKU - wants to be a DC.  You won't want that in your network.  Chuck that idea out the door.

You either need plain old Windows server.

Or look at one of the SMB nas units that run Storage server 2012 r2 essentials (see thecus and western digital)Bottom line the sku you are looking at won't work for a target nas.

September 4th, 2015 12:50pm

As Susan figured out, you definitely do not want 2012R2 Essentials as it must be the DC per the EULA and you have one already. As Susan said you want a product that says storage server or as Robert said Server Standard
September 4th, 2015 10:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics