cmdlets for a usable storage space

I have available 8 x 2TB HDDs and 4 x 400GB SSD's which I want to create a Tiered Storage based Storage Spaces volume with.  I want to use 10GB of space for the Quorum volume later.  I'm missing something, here's what I'm doing.

Here's my physical disks:

PS C:\Users\administrator> Get-PhysicalDisk

FriendlyName                       CanPool                            OperationalStatus                  HealthStatus                       Usage                                                            Size
------------                       -------                            -----------------                  ------------                       -----                                                            ----
PhysicalDisk3                      True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                 372.61 GB
PhysicalDisk6                      True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                 372.61 GB
PhysicalDisk1                      True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                   1.82 TB
PhysicalDisk4                      True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                 372.61 GB
PhysicalDisk8                      True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                   1.82 TB
PhysicalDisk5                      True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                 372.61 GB
PhysicalDisk12                     True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                   1.82 TB
PhysicalDisk2                      True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                   1.82 TB
PhysicalDisk9                      True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                   1.82 TB
PhysicalDisk11                     True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                   1.82 TB
PhysicalDisk10                     True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                   1.82 TB
PhysicalDisk7                      True                               OK                                 Healthy                            Auto-Select                                                   1.82 TB

I assign the available physical disks to the array variable $PhysicalDisks

$pooldisks = Get-PhysicalDisk | ? {$_.CanPool eq $true }

Then I create a new storage pool using $pooldisks. 

New-StoragePool -StorageSubSystemFriendlyName *Spaces* -FriendlyName TieredPool1 -PhysicalDisks $pooldisks

Then I assign them to SSD and HDD tiers:

$tier_hdd = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool1 -FriendlyName HDD_TIER -MediaType HDD
$tier_ssd = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool1 -FriendlyName SSD_TIER -MediaType SSD

And I get stuck trying to create the Virtual Disk:

New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName VirtualDisk1 -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool1 -NumberOfColumns 4 -OtherUsageDescription "8 x 2TB HDD and 4 x 400GB SSD" -ProvisioningType Fixed -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -StorageTiers $tier_ssd, $tier_hdd -StorageTierSizes 800GB, 8000GB -WriteCacheSize 5GB

The error message I receive is:

New-VirtualDisk : There are not enough eligible physical disks in the storage pool to create the specified virtual disk configuration.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName VirtualDisk1 -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool1  ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/...SFT_StoragePool) [New-VirtualDisk], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 48004,New-VirtualDisk

The reason I am trying to do this manually and not via the GUI, is because I need to assign 4 columns to the Storage Space, and the GUI defaults to 2. Any help is appreciated.

• Edited by J_Rod Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:33 PM Updated to new point
January 29th, 2014 4:10pm

Hi,

I would like to know the exact part which causes the error message, the number of column or the size of the virtual disk.

So please help try the following 2 commands and see if any one of them could be performed:

New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName VirtualDisk1 -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool1 -NumberOfColumns 2 -OtherUsageDescription "8 x 2TB HDD and 4 x 400GB SSD" -ProvisioningType Fixed -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -StorageTiers $tier_ssd, $tier_hdd -StorageTierSizes 800GB, 8000GB -WriteCacheSize 5GB

and

New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName VirtualDisk1 -StoragePoolFriendlyName TieredPool1 -NumberOfColumns 4 -OtherUsageDescription "8 x 2TB HDD and 4 x 400GB SSD" -ProvisioningType Fixed -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -StorageTiers $tier_ssd, $tier_hdd -StorageTierSizes 400GB, 4000GB -WriteCacheSize 5GB

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2014 10:06am

Hi Shaon,

I've been able to figure out the issue.  Because there's 4 drives in the SSD tier, you can't have more than 2 columns.  The Virtual Disk creation was done successfully using this command:

Get-StoragePool TieredPool1 | New-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName VDisk1 -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -NumberOfColumns 2 -StorageTiers $SSD, $HDD -StorageTierSizes 735GB, 7448GB WriteCacheSize 5GB

Thanks for responding to my post, it does appear you were about to lead me in the right direction.

January 31st, 2014 5:35pm

Thank you for sharing us the result. Have a nice day!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 3rd, 2014 4:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics