client account locked out after 5 bad logins
Correct alla DCs should share the same policy. Have you configured any Fine-Grained Password and Account Lockout Policies http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770842(WS.10).aspx? /Hasain
November 19th, 2011 12:54am

Another thing to do is to actually set the policy Account lockout threshold = 0 to disable the account lockout. /Hasain
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 19th, 2011 12:58am

Are you using a local account or a domain account? The blocking occurs at the domain controller and not at the client computer if the authentication done using a domain account and you need to adjust the lockout policies applied to your DCs. /Hasain
December 25th, 2011 11:00am

Hi, Thank you for the swift reply! I am using a domain account. Where do I need to adjust the lockout policy ? I thought that was on the Group Policy Management Interface but apparently it's somewhere else ? Could you explain me exactly where I can find this "policy" because there is nothing set in the regular user/computer lockout policy ? thank you, Verus.
December 25th, 2011 1:32pm

If you run the rsop.msc om your DC and check the account lockout settings you should see how it is configured and the source of the setting. /Hasain
December 25th, 2011 1:45pm

I just checked it with the rsop.msc command on the Windows 2008 R2 domain controller (as Domain Administrator) and all settings in "account lockout policy" are "not defined". We have several domain controllers (win2003/2008 mix), isn't it the same on what server I check this ? Thanks, Verus.
December 25th, 2011 4:45pm

Correct alla DCs should share the same policy. Have you configured any Fine-Grained Password and Account Lockout Policies http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770842(WS.10).aspx? /Hasain
December 25th, 2011 4:58pm

Another thing to do is to actually set the policy Account lockout threshold = 0 to disable the account lockout. /Hasain
December 25th, 2011 5:02pm

Hi, I have a windows 7 client and a windows server 2003/2008 R2 server network. The windows 7 client is locked after 5 times entering a bad password. I would understand this if there is a group policy which is responsible for this but there is no group policy with account lockout settings. I even made a new ou (with both user account and computer account in) with block inheritance and no policies and a new user account and then the user account is even locked out after 3 bad logins. I would like to know where this setting is which is responsible for this. What am I missing here ? thanks, Verus.
December 26th, 2011 6:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics