changing downlevel trust to uplevel
Hi We have recently upgraded from NT 4.0 to Active directory 2003. We already had 2 way trusts established from before to other Active Directory domains. After the upgrade; we had difficulties logging on to Windows 2008 servers on opposite domains. It turns out that our trusts stayed at "DOWNLEVEL" for compatibility reasons after the upgrade. How can we switch to UPLEVEL trust without breaking the trust relationships (other sites are AD 2003 and above)? I can't find a checkbox or settings to do that. All I see out there is people saying break and re-establish the trust relationships. I appreciate your response.
May 6th, 2011 1:58pm

downlevel/uplevel trusts? These do not sound familiar. You mention an upgrade from NT to 2003, but then refer to 2008 domains. Can you clarify the design and what the error you are getting or issue you are having is?Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 6th, 2011 2:25pm

Hi 1. I was not referring to 2008 domains. I was referring to 2008 servers on other AD domains. :-) 2. downlevel and uplevel are the trust types. Uplevel trust type is used when active directories on both sides are 2000 and above. I wish I could attach a screenshot. I am just having a hard time changing the trust type to uplevel. It can be done by breaking and re-establishing but I would rather not do that...
May 6th, 2011 2:34pm

Ok, I havent heard of these trusts types described in this manner. So I am assuming that there are no more NT domains right? If so, please note that trust relationships between NT domains and 2008 R2 domains are NOT supported. Windows NT 4.0 and 2008 R2 Domain Trust Relationships http://www.anitkb.com/2010/06/windows-nt-40-and-2008-r2-domain-trust.html So if you are just referring to the fact that you have trusts that were in place before the upgrade, how do you know that there is a trust relationship issue? What error(s) are you seeing? have you used nltest, netdom, dcdiag, and other AD related tools to check for AD issues? Or are you just trying to upgrade the Forest and Domain Functional levels and are confused with the trust thing you are reffering to? To upgrade the functional level, for the domain you would use the Active Directory Users and Computers console, for hte Forest, you can use the Active Directory Domains and Trusts console. Of course, you have to meet the minimum requirements for each action before you can continue. Or, if this is a trust issue as you are describing, removing and re-establishing the trusts is not a big deal. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 6th, 2011 2:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics