change dns port
Hi guys, I want to my DNS to be hosted on different port no. than 53, I'm thinking of blocking port 53 in my firewall and redirect the dns queries to another port no. But how to change the dns port in win 2003 ??? I tried this link, but didn't work http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB198410/EN-US/ Can anyone help me out....
May 31st, 2010 10:26am

Hi, Thank you for your post here. The SendOnNonDnsPort registry value controls the port in which Windows DNS service sends out the query (outgoing). I am afraid that we cannot change the DNS service port (incoming request) since Domain Name Server gets well-known port number assigned by IANA. If you customize the service port number, DNS client will fail to locate the DNS service.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2010 1:21pm

What are you actually trying to accompish? Are you trying to restrict/allow certain hosts? If this is the goal, you should control traffic by using the appropriate rules and filters. Even if you would be able to change the port the DNS server is listening on, your clients would still send to port 53. They would have to be changed as well for their outgoing. I think a better solution can be designed based on what you are trying to accompish.Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
May 31st, 2010 5:58pm

Hello Ashwin, I agree with both Jorge and Miles, DNS is port 53 and even if you do manage to change it, it would create a lot of problems.Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
May 31st, 2010 9:16pm

Actually, without Ashwin answering Jorge's question, this is somewhat difficult to resolve. What you can do is bring in DNS on port 53 of the firewall, and then forward that DNS packet to a non-standard port on the server (UDP port 5543 for example). Then your clients would also need to be configured to talk t the non standard port. This could get ugly real quick. Thanks, James
June 2nd, 2010 10:42pm

Hello, If you have a firewall that supports PAT, port address translation, use that to change the DNS port to 110 or 5353. Alternatively, you can modify the registry key SendOnNonDnsPort (see KB below) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198410 Miguel Fra / Falcon IT Services Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase and Support Sharepoint Site
July 16th, 2011 5:59pm

Hi guys, I want to my DNS to be hosted on different port no. than 53, I'm thinking of blocking port 53 in my firewall and redirect the dns queries to another port no. But how to change the dns port in win 2003 ??? I tried this link, but didn't work http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB198410/EN-US/ Can anyone help me out.... Hi. I realize this is an old thread, but I had a similar question. I wanted to be able to change the port Windows uses for DNS outgoing requests. However I couldn't off hand find an easy way to do it. So I found a DNS proxy called Acrylic. It listens on port 53, but then it forwards the requests out to the DNS servers you specify, on the ports you specify. It is a little tricky to find DNS servers that listen on ports other than 53, but I did find some that listen on 110 and 5353. I needed this because my ISP intercepts all port 53 traffic, and reroutes it to their own DNS servers. So when their DNS servers go down, it really puts me in a bind.
July 16th, 2011 11:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics