cant install perc 4/sc scsi controller
is there an issue with the scsi drivers that 2008 needs? I point to the floppy with the scsi perc drivers from dell and it shows two that would be compatible then I select one then it says no drives could be found. Am I missing something? thank you for you replies
May 4th, 2008 5:03pm

Hi, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 may require updated SCSI controller drivers. There are instances in which the driver used for installation is too old for Windows Vista and Windows Server 208 to parse correctly, even though the driver may still work in Windows XP. Please verify that the latest drivers are being used, and that they reside in the root of the specified media (floppy, CD or USB device) to allow the device to be properly installed on the system. Would you please try contacting Dell to check if the up-to-date SCSI driver for Windows Server 2008 is available?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 5th, 2008 1:22pm

The Perc 4/sc is supported by 2003 so I dont understand why it wouldnt be supported by 2008. Especially since we are talking about SCSI technology which has a much longer life expectance in the business world. Currently there is no information from Dell about special Perc 4/sc drivers for 2008. they did mention to me that they will not be supporting the perc3 series controllers with 2008. But nothing at the moment about perc 4. Let us pray that drivers are made to support this controller since there are so many of them in the feild.
May 19th, 2008 2:48pm

Hi, I deeply understand your concern about the Perc 4/SC driver on Windows Server 2008. Many computer problems are neither software problems nor hardware ones, but instead are compatibility problems. Windows Server 2008 is of the new generation of Operating Systems in the Windows family. We design Windows Server 2008 in compliance with the industrial standard. We also do our best to make our OS work properly with most third-party products. However, please understand that the device drivers, even those shipped in the operating system, are provided by the hardware manufacturers. When a new operating system is released, usually third-party vendors or manufacturers will update their products to take full advantage of new features in the latest OS. If the driver is not compatible with the system, the device may not work properly or other unknown problems may occur in the system. Hopefully DELL can update the device driver soon to make it compatible with Windows Server 2008. If I have any updates, I will let you know. Thanks for your understanding.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2008 1:11pm

We have 16 Servers all ranging from Dell PE700 to PE2950. All have some sort of Perc 4/5 scsi controllers. I was trying to install 2008 on the PE700 with the perc 4/sc and found that when I looked at dell support for our PE2800 under the windows 2008 section it had a firmware update for the perc 4/sc. I downloaded and installed along with the newest BIOS for the PE700. Then I re-ran the 2008 install and it worked like a charm.
March 3rd, 2009 8:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics