cannot start default website in IIS 6 - process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
I'm trying to start the default website in IIS but I'm getting an error message that says "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". I'm running IIS 6 on Windows Server 2003.
July 30th, 2009 3:39am

Hello GilbertF, Based on the experience, if there is some process has already open or run the file that IIS tries to launches, the error message can occur. The error message means another process already handles the file. To check the possible cause, you can logon the problematic server which holds that file with administrate credential, and then you may dump all handle information with running following command. handle > serverhandle.txt Download: Handle http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Handle.zip You may analyze the serverhandle.txt to check which process was handling that file, and then kit that process if possible. Afterwards, please launch IIS default website again to check if the issue can be fixed. Meanwhile, as the issue is more related to IIS, I would also like to suggest that you initial a new post in the IIS discussion forum for further help. IIS Discussion forum http://forums.iis.net/ Hope the information can be helpful.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2009 2:04pm

The problem was SKYPE!!!! Turn off Skype and try again.
August 7th, 2009 5:48pm

Hi HGGA337, Thanks for your sharing. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 10th, 2009 6:05am

I had Citrix Password Manager trying to use port 443, same as IIS. I removed port 443 from IIS default website and then it started right up. I used netstat -aon to see the ports that were being used.
August 12th, 2009 7:57am

Hi GilbertF, Glad to hear that you have found the root cause of the issue and resolve it. Your are right. Based on my further research, if we have configured the default website to require SSL, IIS service ties to check TCP port 443. If the port is occupied and used by other process, the default website process could be failed to start like what you have found. Hope this can be helpful for others.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 12th, 2009 10:33am

I had a similiar issue setting up IPP printing on a file server. I resolved this by using netstat -aon to view if any other processes were listening on port 80 and in another command prompt I use tasklist to view what the process was by cross referencing the PID. Thesolution was to se theweb site to another TCP port.
October 29th, 2009 6:49am

Yes, you are right. The problem is with the Skype only. It seems Skype use the default port of IIS. I log out from Skype and Start the "defaultwebsite" it works. After starting you can again start Skype. Thanks
March 4th, 2011 3:45am

Unbelievable!!! Closing Skype solved the Problem. not to face this issue again: go to "Connection" under "Advanced" in Skype Options and uncheck "Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections"
March 29th, 2011 10:14am

The problem was SKYPE!!!! Turn off Skype and try again. unbelievable , I been struggling with the problem for hours , nothing showing up with netstat, can believe skype giving me such a headache , thanks man , owe you big time.
April 2nd, 2011 2:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics