cannot login to domain unless network cable unplugged
We have several stations in a PC lab. All login to Server 2003 domain as Student. Some stations have lost the ability to login to the domain resulting in an error that the domain cannot be found or user authenticated but, if the network cable is unplugged, the station logs in just fine and all network resources are available after the cable is plugged back in. I am able to login as adiministrator to the domain from these stations and if I 'GHOST' the hard disk from a working station to a non-working station, the bad one will login. Appears to be a problem at the station level but only when accessing the domain. All stations are WinXP Pro, SP3
July 13th, 2011 12:50am

Hi, To solve your issue you might need to re-add the computer to the domain again. You don't need to move the computer to workgroup mode, just re-add it to the domain. Since your clients are cloned, I also suggest that you might change your client's SID. Although duplicate SIDs aren't an issue in a Domain-based environment since domain accounts have SID's based on the Domain SID, duplicate SIDs can cause problems is where there is removable media formated with NTFS, and local account security attributes are applied to files and directories. NewSID v4.10: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418 Best Regards, James
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 13th, 2011 10:00am

James, Thanks for your response. I'll give it a try. To clarify, are you suggesting I re-add the computer to the domain at the server? Also, NewSID has been retired by its author as it has been deemed unneccesary since duplicate SIDs apparently are not the problem they were presumed to be (this according to the article referenced at the beginning of the article link you gave me). Thanks again, Eric Eric A. Rost
July 13th, 2011 3:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics