can ping server hostname but not ip (server 2008r2) server unreachable
I've just lost access to the server. I can remote into a machine on the lan and ping the servers hostname but not it's static ip. result = 'Destination host unreachable' If a user tries to open a mapped drive which is located on the server it states: An error occured while reconnecting L: to \\servershare. Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. The connection has not been restored. I can also nslookup the server from the LAN which shows the servers IP as per below: C:\Users\joe.bloggs>nslookup servername DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. Server: UnKnown Address: 192.168.55.250 Other notes: The dns entry on the server is the static IP of the server . This happened last week and after restarting DHCP and DNS services on the server it resolved. In the morning I can log into the server and restart the services but should i look at the DHCP configs? More importantly is there any way to restart these services on the server from within the LAN say on a client machine with admin rights? T.I.A
June 17th, 2010 4:29pm

"Destination Host Unreachable" is indication that the computer is unable to determine how to route the packet based on the IP that you provided. However, you indicate that you are able to reach it by name. Is the name that you are using mapping to the same IP that you tried? That doesnt make sense to me; I may simply be unclear to what you are describing. Ping and ICMP Error Messages http://www.anitkb.com/2010/06/ping-and-icmp-error-messages.html When you say that you "remote" into a machine on the LAN, where are you remoteing from? another computer on the LAN, VPN connection? What is the IP configuraiton of the computer you are experiencing this from (IP, subnet mask, default gateway)? Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 17th, 2010 5:00pm

Hi Jorge. I'll try to be more clearer...let me know if this still does not make sence. In answer to your questions. I can remote into a workstation from outside the LAN as it has Teamviewer running on it. The workstation has the DNS server as primary and Opendns as secondry in it's settings. From this machine i can ping the servers hostname but not IP giving the error as previously mentioned. I cannot RDP/map etc to the server from the workstation either using either hostname or it's IP I can only ping it via hostname hence ping servername gives 100% return compared to 100% loss pinging it's IP. Configs of server: IP: 192.168.55.250 SM: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.55.254 DNS: 192.168.55.250 If i try to map the server from the workstation it gives an error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found. It states that it's online but isn't responding to connection attempts. I'll check the gateway and reboot it to see if that refreshes the network but as mentioned previously - it has occured before (1 week ago) and restarting DHCP and DNS services fixed the issue.
June 17th, 2010 5:34pm

If i pathping the server's IP from the workstation i get: C:\Users\Joe.Blogs>pathping 192.168.55.250 Tracing route to 192.168.5.250 over a maximum of 30 hops 0 user1.domain.com [192.168.55.35] 1 user1.domain.com [192.168.35.55] reports: Destination host unreachable. Computing statistics for 25 seconds... Source to Here This Node/Link Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address 0 user1.domain.com [192.168.55.35] 100/ 100 =100% | 1 --- 100/ 100 =100% 0/ 100 = 0% user1.domain.com [0.0.0.0] Trace complete. So if i check the routing table on the gateway device it's as follows: Key: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, * - default, ~ - private * 0.0.0.0/ 0.0.0.0 via 165.100.5.1, WAN1 C~ 192.168.55.0/ 255.255.255.0 is directly connected, LAN * 165.100.5.1/ 255.255.255.255 via 165.100.5.1, WAN1 S 100.100.100.100./ 255.255.255.255 via 100.100.100.100, WAN1 - I'm not big on routing tables so hopefully a network freak can assist here ;-) NOTE: Please bear in mind i've changed the WAN IP to 100.100.100.100
June 17th, 2010 6:01pm

Either you have changed other IPs listed above or something is wrong with that workstation's TCP/IP configuration. I looked up TeamViewer and I found some information as I am not familiar with the product. Apparently it allows VPN connections? Are you connected VPN while this is occuring? Does your private IP on your remote network (the one you are initiating this connection from) overlap the IPs at the office? Does this VPN product do split-tunneling-if so that could be the problem here as the the information you provided in the results of the pathping does not make sense. LINE1-C:\Users\Joe.Blogs>pathping 192.168.55.250 LINE2-Tracing route to 192.168.5.250 over a maximum of 30 hops LINE3-0 user1.domain.com [192.168.55.35] LINE4-1 user1.domain.com [192.168.35.55] reports: Destination host unreachable. Line-1 looks correct because that is the IP of the server (192.168.55.250) Line-2 Doesnt look correct because it lists 192.168.5.250 (should be 192.168.55.250) Line-3 should be the gateway of the workstation. What is 192.168.55.35? Line-4 Where did this router come from 192.168.35.55? This is not adding to the IP Pinging problem, but this DNS configuraiton is probably not a good idea as you should always use DNS servers that will always provide the client with the same response. Surely you understand that an OpenDNS server cannot resolve internal names. "The workstation has the DNS server as primary and Opendns as secondry in it's settings." Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 17th, 2010 9:21pm

Hi softball, Thanks for posting here. From your description, the summary of this issue is below: 1. you can only ping this server via HOST name , but IP address. 2. You cannot access this server via any network service with IP and Hostname. If I ‘m wrong, please correct me. Before we move on, I would like to collect the following information with you: 1. what’s the result that if you ping server and access share folder via hostname and IP on server itself ? 2. Is that working normally that ping and access server from other workstation which in same IP segment of server via hostname or IP? 3. Is there any related event log on server when this issue occurred? Please check if it worked with uninstall NIC and reinstall with newest driver on server side,and add route manually. Thanks. Tiger Li PS: On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 General forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.
June 21st, 2010 8:54am

Hi softball, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 23rd, 2010 4:40am

Sorry to you guys...Jorge - The ips were changed and were incorrect due to fault on my part (late night). After restarting the dns service it came good and I moved on to another task. If it happens again on my server I'll document it first before posting....thanks for your support though
June 29th, 2010 8:05am

Hi softball, Thanks for your feedback. Hope you will enjoy our technet forum. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 29th, 2010 8:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics