can not connect to domain
have a Windows 2003 Server that I've assigned a static IP address. I've double checked and the addressing is not redundant and the information is correct as compared to other servers on the same subnet. I've also confirmed with our networking team that the server is connected to the switchport that is assigned the correct subnet. They've tested and all is fine. I've also checked the nic by installing it on another server. Works fine. So, here's my problem. With the correct IP scheme, the server does not connect to the domain. I've got it currently in a Workgroup and trying to connect to the domain. Additionally, when I perform the loopback test, I get good replies. Ping the IP address and get good replies. But, ping the gateway and I get no replies and likewise (as would be expected) to any other server on the subnet. My guess is that I need to remove the TCP/IP stack and reestablish it but I wanted to check if there was anything else I could do. Any advice?
August 15th, 2012 10:50am

Hi, Are you trying to make this server as member server or domain controller? How the DNS settings are configured on the server? Make sure that the server is pointing to a working DNS server as primary DNS and then try adding it to domain.Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 15th, 2012 10:58am

member server. tried with DHCP and got no where , either. When I set the addressing up statically, I mirrored the addressing from another server on the subnet to be sure it was accurate.
August 15th, 2012 2:07pm

Hi, post the ipconfig /all from your DC and the problematic server for further troubleshooting.Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
August 15th, 2012 2:09pm

Unfortunately, I can't get the ipconfig /all for the DC. I don't have access to it. I do, however, have the ability to record the ipconfig /all of the server but I don't think that is what you are looking for. Since I have access to other servers on the same subnet, will an ipconfig /all of one of the other servers work?
August 15th, 2012 4:15pm

Hi, Yes, you need to know the IP address of the local site domain controller to configure the IP as preferred DNS server in your new server's IP properties. DNS is used to locate the domain controller in your network and without proper DNS configuration you may not be able to join it to the domain.Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
August 16th, 2012 3:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics