can not access mapped drives on server sb through vpn
I have set up a vpn tunnel to my server 2003 sb. I login using my username and password on the vpn, but I am not able to see my shared drives on the server. I am able to use remote desk top to get into the server. Dose anyone have any idea with out using Remote desktop?
June 16th, 2009 12:00am

Can you reach the shares by IP address. What I mean is, if you put \\(Server private IP)\share, does the share show up. It probaby is just DNS that is not working through the VPN. You will want to check the settings for this. When you access RDP, is it by Name or IP?Scotty
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2009 12:35am

When you connect by VPN you do not do a domain login. Even if you specify a domain username/password, this is only used to authenticate the connection. The credentials used for file sharing are the credentials used when you originally logged into the workstation. To log into the domain as well, you need to use the "log in using a dialup connection" option in the login dialog on the client. Note that the VPN connection on the client has to be configured for all users for this option to be available.Bill
June 16th, 2009 5:00am

Hi, Thank you for your posting. In addition to Scottys suggestion, if it is a Windows Vista workstation, please ensure that the hotfix KB933468 is installed. The hotfix is included in Windows Vista Service Pack 1. You cannot access SMB shares on a corporate network through a Remote Access Service (RAS) connection from a computer that is running Windows Vista http://support.microsoft.com/?id=933468 I look forward to your response.
June 16th, 2009 5:49am

I connect through ip# when I put the \\(serverName)\share, I am able to get the share working. How do i fix the DNS problem when connecting?Norm
July 9th, 2009 7:40pm

What DNS problem? Your client should get the DNS server address as part of the VPN connection setup. Can you see the share using the FQDN? If you can, the problem is that your remote client does not add the domain name suffix to the machine name. Use nslookup to test this from the VPN client (while the VPN connection is up). If nslookup domainname.servername works but just servername fails, go to the connection properties of the client and add the domain suffix manually.Bill
July 13th, 2009 8:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics