best practice for consuming web services

Hi

we are consuming web service in orchestration by "Add Generated Item".By using this option it creates 1 orch,1xsd file and some bindings.

we have different projects for schemas,maps and orchestration under our solution in visual studio.

Now i need to know that what will be the best practice for consuming web service in orchestration i mean in which project should i use "add generated item" (in orchstration project or in schemas project) coz it generates both 1 orch and 1 schema.

thanks

January 13th, 2014 5:49am

Hi,

As per my understanding, when we take a reference of of any web service, we either go for Add Web Reference or Add Service reference.

1. For Add Web Reference - BizTalk generates the respective schemas along with the port types (which actually corresponds to different operations of the service). So, in this case, we can put these schemas in a seperate Schemas Project & one needs to take the reference of this schema project.

2. For Add Service Reference - BizTalk generates the respective schemas along with an orchestration (which is actually an empty orchestration) and the binding file (having all the SOAP Action mappings). So, in this case, we can remove the orchestration and put the schemas in schemas in a seperate Schemas Project & one needs to take the reference of this schema project.

I took the reference as per both the above cases and it worked fine with me (i.e. sticking to the best practice that one should keep all the biztalk artefacts is separate projects.

Hope this will help.

HTH,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2014 6:18am

Refer to Leonid's write-up on BizTalk Project Naming @http://geekswithblogs.net/LeonidGaneline/archive/2009/07/31/biztalk-naming-convention-for-the-biztalk-solutions.aspx

For every Web Service I consume, I typically create a separate project where I exclude the generated orchestration. This results in the Web Service Schemas being published as a BizTalk Project. I use the bindings to generate the send ports. If this service is to be used across multiple applications, then I publish this as a common application.

For every BizTalk Project that requires the services to be used, I typically manually create the associated definitons for the Port Type/Multi-part Messages, etc [I feel I'm doing this in a tedious way].

Regards.

January 13th, 2014 6:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics