backup chain broken

Environment:
SQL Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Native-compressed backups.

Objective:
After Migration from ServerA to ServerB, I still want to use the name ServerA by the applications. So I want to rename ServerB to ServerA so that the applications dont have to change. For the rollback plan I want to keep the database on ServerA in restoring mode so that I may apply the logs from ServerB and reverse the role when required.

Test Scenario that works.
1.    Take the last Tail Log backup from ServerA with NoRecovery Mode to keep the database Demo on ServerA in NORECOVERY Mode.
2.    Apply the above backup on ServerB and bring it online.
3.    To keep the ServerA in sync, take the Backup from ServerB and apply those on ServerA.

Test Scenario that DOESNOT works.
1.    Take the last Tail Log backup from ServerA with NoRecovery Mode to keep the database Demo on ServerA in NORECOVERY Mode.
2.    Apply the above backup on ServerB and bring it online.
3.    RENAME ServerB to ServerA so that we can call the Old ServerB as New ServerA for our understanding.
4.    Fails:  To keep the ServerA in sync, take the Backup from ServerB and apply those on ServerA.  This step fails with the error message
Msg 3241, Level 16, State 0, Line 1
The media family on device 'd:\temp\demo_Log3.bak' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally.

Additional Information:
Even the restorefilelistonly and restoreheaderonly also fails on the Old ServerA.  
When I tried to do restorefilelistonly and restoreheaderonly on the New ServerA, it gives information correctly.
My confident feeling is that when we rename the ServerB to ServerA, it causes these log backups not to work on the Old ServerA
Please can somebody kindly confirm the same.

January 10th, 2014 9:50am

Backup set contains the server name.you have changed the server name and this is the problem for restore failure

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 10th, 2014 10:13am

Hi,

Could you please confirm that both ServerA and ServerB use the same database engine version ?

SELECT @@version

Regards.

JN.

January 10th, 2014 10:53am

Yes they are the same version and edition. I specified that the scenario 1 worked for me. In case of any version difference, that would have failed too.
January 10th, 2014 11:39am

There is absolutely no corruption. As I told I am able to restore header and listonly on the same server New ServerA.
January 10th, 2014 11:40am

Thanks Ramesh. Yes, this is what I also feel. let me try a few work arounds to see if those may help.
I am thinking that I may change the Old ServerA to ServerC as this might help.
WIll post you shortly after I do my test.
January 10th, 2014 11:41am

False Alarm, I think the backup file while copying got corrupted and thus it could not be restored.
When I tried again it worked fine.

Requesting the Moderator to just close this conversation.

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621 5 hours 20 minutes ago
January 14th, 2014 12:53am

False Alarm, I think the backup file while copying got corrupted and thus it could not be restored.
When I tried again it worked fine.

Requesting the Moderator to just close this conversation.

Can you mark answer proposed by me.

Thanks

January 14th, 2014 1:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics