backquote key mapped incorrectly in dvorak keyboard layout

when using the dvorak keyboard layout, the key to the left of the '1' key generates '\' and '|'. It should generate '`' and '~'.

remote desktop version 8.0.24255 on OS X 10.9, connecting to Windows 2008R2

My OS X session uses layout 'dvorak', the remote Windows server reports layout 'united states-dvorak' (as expected)

November 21st, 2013 10:09am

Hi M-frank,

Today a new update of our Remote Desktop Client is available. Please install it and test it again.

open the On Screen Keyboard to check your Keyboard Layout from language you set.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 21st, 2013 4:11pm

I think I have the latest.  8.0.24255, downloaded from the app store today (the app store said 'updated 21 november'). Or is there a newer version available elsewhere ?
  • Edited by M-frank Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:38 PM
November 21st, 2013 5:38pm

Hi,

Yes, you already have the latest version.

However, please check if the On screen Keyboard has the same issue as Stephan suggested.

Thanks.

November 24th, 2013 4:58pm

yep, Keyboard Viewer shows a ` on the key, generates a ` in other apps when clicked, generates a \ in Remote Desktop.
November 25th, 2013 9:03am

Hi M-frank,

this is the original Keyboard layout from US Dvorak. It must been the same as the onscreen Keyboard with your remote Windows or Mac.

This British Dvorak Keyboard Layout should have set in your Windows environment.

To be sure please share us screenshots about your settings of onscreen Keyboard from Mac and Windows.

Picture from Wikipedia. More info please see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboa

November 25th, 2013 11:33am

both OS X Keyboard Viewer and Windows osk.exe show a ` on the relevant key.

When in OS X Keyboard Viewer the key is clicked with the mouse, the apps in the remote Windows session see a \.

When in osk.exe the key is clicked with the mouse, the apps in the remote Windows session (the same session that is running osk.exe) see a `.

I am not allowed to attach screenshots "until we verify your account" (whatever that means; I didn't receive a verification mail) so you'll have to take my word for it that both on-screen keyboards show a ` on the relevant key, not a \.

November 25th, 2013 1:08pm

Hi M-fank"" this is was my Mac says on the key when i set the Dvorak layout. However, when I use the Dvorak Layout from Mac in my Windows session and there I set the Dvorak Layout to, is the Key there indicating and work the "'~" key.so

Can you change the Windows Language preferences Settings? Or rather there should be displayed ENG/DV (Close to the Clock) and please try it to a nother PC session. The location of many symbols on your keyboard depends on the used keyboard layout and language setting.

November 25th, 2013 3:30pm

yes, "" is what it says for the left top key if you are using a national keyboard layout with that key in that position (e.g. Dutch keyboard layout), for such keyboards the left shift key is narrowed and the ` key is next to the narrowed left shift key instead of next to the 1 key.

It doesn't matter whether I use a Dutch keyboard or a US keyboard. If I press the ` key, wherever it is, I get a \ in Remote Desktop and a ` everywhere else.

I use the English language and the US-dvorak keyboard layout on both RDP client and RDP server.

The CoRD RDP client produces a ` for the ` key. Microsoft's RDC client v2.1.1, when I can convince it to use dvorak, produces a ` for the ` key (on the same RDP server and in the same session as the one where RDC v8 gets it wrong)

If this were a configuration issue with the language settings or keyboard settings of the client OS or the server OS then the other two RDP should have the same problem.

Given the fact that the other 2 RDP clients get it right, and the fact that the issue is with exactly one key (even the \ key still produces a \) I wouldn't be surprised if this were some simple bug like a typo in some key translation table in the v8 Remote Desktop client.

November 25th, 2013 6:02pm

I have the same problem too, from Mac OS X (10.9.1) with Microsoft Remote Desktop (8.0.24308) to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2012 R2 (Japanese version though).

The CoRD client always produces backticks ` correctly.

When I use another IME as Input Source in Mac, MS RDP client seems to send ` correctly.

March 13th, 2014 4:08am

Just in case if someone have same issue, I have fixed it changing registry as described http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macother/remote-desktop-connection-keyboard-language/e1796a5b-4d34-4977-80eb-42b5192f19d5
June 24th, 2014 2:51pm

With all due respect, this is more of a patch that does not have the same effect as Microsoft fixing the client.  Previously, with the iTap RDP client I had this issue, but never with the old Microsoft RDC 2.1.1 client.  Microsoft bought the iTap client to fashion the new Microsoft Remote Desktop client out of it, and the even the latest incarnation of this new client carries over this baggage.  The backquote/tilde character on the Dvorak keyboard layout works in OS X proper, and when editing connections in the Microsoft Remote Desktop app (latest or otherwise), but instead produces the same result as pressing the backslash/pipe key when an RDP connection is made using the app, and when pressing the backquote/tilde key, a backslash/pipe character is produced.  This is a bug, and I would also love to know when it will be fixed.

Unexpected Behavior: When a the input source is set to Dvorak in any version of OS X, and the Microsoft Remote Desktop client is used to connect to a Windows machine, pressing the backquote/tilde key produces a backslash/pipe character as output on the Windows machine.  This occurs irrespective of the keyboard layout chosen in the remote Windows machine after the fact, i.e. switching to US-English (QWERTY) once connected, e.g. pressing Ctrl-Shift to swap layouts, results in the same effect -- pressing the backquote/tilde key produces a backslash/pipe character as output on the Windows machine.

Expected Behavior: When a the input source is set to Dvorak in any version of OS X, and the Microsoft Remote Desktop client is used to connect to a Windows machine, pressing the backquote/tilde key produces a backquote/tilde character as output on the Windows machine.  Swapping keyboard layouts in the remote Windows machine should result in the correct output for each key pressed according to that chosen layout.

Reproducible: Always

Notes: A backquote or tilde character can be copied into the paste buffer on the host OS X machine, and pasted into the remote Windows machine; the expected output is a backquote or tilde, and this is what appears.  Only when pressing the backquote/tilde key directly does a backslash/pipe character appear -- it appears this output is somehow hardcoded into the application when a Dvorak layout is chosen on the host machine.

This issue is still present in the latest 8.0.18 Mac App Store release of Microsoft Remote Desktop released May 20th, 2015 as stated by Tom, one comment below, which is the current release as of July 6th, 2015. this issue has existed in the new Microsoft Remote Desktop since its release to the Mac App Store in October 2013 until today. It has been reported to Microsoft by numerous people and has yet to be resolved.

• Edited by Siobhan_ Monday, July 06, 2015 8:59 PM
June 24th, 2014 4:49pm

This problem is still present in ver 8.0.18 build 26163, as downloaded from the app store about an hour ago.

--Tom
July 6th, 2015 8:31pm

We will be making improvements on keyboard in future iterations of our product. Fixes will be named in the What's new section.
July 10th, 2015 6:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics