an error with no description has occurred
When adding or editing a user on windows 2008 R2 I get "an error without a description has occurred"
August 30th, 2011 5:52pm

Hi, Please first run services.msc and ensure Remote Registry service is started and set to Automatic. If the error message you get is: "An error occurred attempting to create the Object Picker. An error with no description has occurred." You can turn On Debug Logging of Object Picker to troubleshoot this problem: How to Turn On Debug Logging of Object Picker http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322243 If the problem still continues, please help collect the following information: 1. Is this Windows Server 2008 R2 computer in a domain? If so, is it a domain controller? 2. what users are you going to add? domain user or local user? 3. Is there any relevant error in Event View or the debug log of the Object Picker? Regards, Bruce
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2011 8:01pm

Thanks for responding. This is running in VMWare environment and only recently produced this error. Remote registry service was running. 1. It is not a member of a domain. 2. local user 3. Nothing appears in event viewer Say BruceL is my username that I want to create or edit. When you click ok this message pops up The following error has occured while attempting to set the pass word for BruceL:. An error with no description has occurred.
August 30th, 2011 9:23pm

Hi, Thanks for your update. Currently, please open regedit and verify HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LDAP\Clsid exists. It’s value is {CLSID of 228D9A81-C302-11cf-9AA4-00AA004A5691} Regards, Bruce
August 31st, 2011 1:40pm

This entry does exist.
August 31st, 2011 4:32pm

I am also having the same issue while trying to set password. My registry is having the correct value HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LDAP\Clsid= {CLSID of 228D9A81-C302-11cf-9AA4-00AA004A5691} However I still can't resolved what is the actual issue. Any help is much appreciated.
October 18th, 2011 9:52am

I have exatly the same issue on our Windows Server 2008. Recently I wanted to add a new user, but I cannot set the password for him. It says "an error without a description has occurred". Please help. Thank you. Best regards Vladimir Gregor
November 2nd, 2011 5:11am

Same issue here. Found this related post that helped resolve it: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservermanager/thread/6df7626d-85bb-4069-88d2-c138ee452058
November 4th, 2011 12:05pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics