alternative IP failover / cluster (like keepalived, ucarp, heartbeat, …) for Windows (no NLB, no WSFC!)
Problem: IIS farm should be load balanced using multiple ARRs. Ideally the ARRs work in an active/active failover cluster. However NLB and WSFC cause too much trouble (see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ef47e67e-e145-4c84-830f-12c5f8877501/nlb-in-vmware-troubleshooting?forum=winservergen) in my setup, so that I do not want to use them, but a simple IP failover instead.

I did some research and found software like keepalived, ucarp, heartbeat, ... for Linux, but nothing similar for Windows Server 2012 R2? Or is an IP failover the wrong way, do you have a better alternative (hardware LB is not possible, I just got some VMs without possibility to configure the underlying network)?

I only found MyWindowsHeartbeat and MiniSFT, but I do not think, that these are very stable solutions comparable to the Linux "equivalents".

August 29th, 2015 4:28am

Problem: IIS farm should be load balanced using multiple ARRs. Ideally the ARRs work in an active/active failover cluster. However NLB and WSFC cause too much trouble (see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ef47e67e-e145-4c84-830f-12c5f8877501/nlb-in-vmware-troubleshooting?forum=winservergen) in my setup, so that I do not want to use them, but a simple IP failover instead.

I did some research and found software like keepalived, ucarp, heartbeat, ... for Linux, but nothing similar for Windows Server 2012 R2? Or is an IP failover the wrong way, do you have a better alternative (hardware LB is not possible, I just got some VMs without possibility to configure the underlying network)?

I only found MyWindowsHeartbeat and MiniSFT, but I do not think, that these are very stable solutions comparable to the Linux "equivalents".

In short: it should work reliably and well. Many people run Web Farms and failover never is an issue if hardware picked up properly.

In long: GO 100% LINUX! It would be much less pain for anybody :)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2015 3:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics