adding win2k8 domain controller to a win2k3 dc problems
Greetings. I am setting up a new win2k8 domain controller to use as dhcp, ad, and dns as a replacement for an older win2k3 dc. In my event logs, I keep getting the error "The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from ntserver.nowata.local to NPSDC1 for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name ntserver.nowata.local. FRS will keep retrying. " (error 13508). I am not getting the 13509 error though. I ran the DCDIAG /V /C /D /E /s:<servername>. I've got connectivity between the two machines. SYSVOL looks fine on the 2k3 machine but it just won't replicate to the 2k8 machine. I'm also getting an error in directory service: "1722 The RPC server in unavailable. Verify the source domain controller is accessible or network connectivity in available." I've tried to remove active directory from the 2k8 machine using dcpromo, but it also fails because it still says RPC in unavailable on the 2k3 machine. RAR. Any ideas how to make the 2k3 RPC function with the 2k8 machine? Thanks.
May 28th, 2010 6:02pm

It must be related to some type of connectivity issues between 2 DCs. Do you have problem name resolution? Do you have any firewall between there DCs? Did you turn off the firewall on the server? Please paste the IPCONFIG/ALL result from 2 DCs here. Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2010 6:14pm

Okay well, apparently I'm just having a bad day! The firewall on the 2k8 was blocking the dcpromo from completing and likely it was also blocking the FRS from functioning. Bah. 2k8 and Win7 security is annoying. I'll try to re-role it again and see if it works. Thanks.
May 28th, 2010 7:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics