adding disk space
Hello, I have added a couple hard drives.....used my Array utility to add the new drives to an exisintg RAID5 array. Now in Windows Disk mgr I see the new space on the array it is identified as unallocated........ the existing part of the array is marked as BASIC what next ? convert the basic part to dynamic? then should I be able to add this new unallocated hunk to the existing array? when will the new space get formatted ??
February 28th, 2011 1:38pm

What operating system? Are you trying to extend a data or operating system partition? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 28th, 2011 2:02pm

server 2003 its a raid 5 data drive.....I have expanded the array......but nw need to the "windows end"
February 28th, 2011 3:06pm

If it is a data volume then this one may help. How to extend a data volume in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows 2000, and in Windows Server 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590 If it is the system/boot partition then this one may help. ExtPart.exe http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R64398&formatcnt=2&fileid=83929 Either case a full backup is always recomended. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
February 28th, 2011 6:07pm

Thanks for the reply. I think its Ok for me to be using disk manager....... I go int there and can see the newly added space for the instended drive (f:) the original part is in blue and listed as a BASIC volume.......the newly added space is in black , and is listed as UNACCLOCATED there seems to be no "expand volume" option.. Do I have to changethe original volume from basic to dynamic in orderto getthe expand option? If se is there any problem doing this while the server is online and used are pounding it ? or can all this be doem on the fly
March 1st, 2011 9:03am

No, it shouldn't be necessary. Assuming a data partition please check the first article. Be sure to heed backup recomendations before hand. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
March 1st, 2011 11:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics