access to network drive denied in IE7 on server 2008
Hi GuysI have shared a folder named "Users" (has got list and read permission for all) and underneath that there is common folder (this has all permissions except full control for all users). My users are mostly thin client (using Wyse Terminal) that logs on to terminal server 2008 for accessing their applications, files and emails. I have mapped a common drive as y drive to their login by running login sript (vbscript) through group policy. It all maps good when they login although the first time they login and clicks computer from start menu, there is a red cross mark (disconnection mode) at Y drive and also Z drive (thats another user drive mappedthrough active directory) but when they double click the red cross dissapears and they are able to access all the files and folders underneath Y and Z drive. The problem is when the user opens internet explorer and from his yahoo or hotmail account when hetries to attach a file from Y or z drive they get this strange error saying "Location is not available "Y:\" or "z:\" is not accessible. Network access is denied. Has anyone come accross this problem in Server 2008....????????? Any help would be appreciable.......Thanks
January 30th, 2009 12:12am

Actually I got this same issue with Windows 7 on a 2003 Server. Although it is a beta the symptoms were the same. If I opened My Computer the drives were there with no issues. However, when you opened IE or even Regedit the drives came up with an "access is denied" and/or asked for a logon and password.I will be testing this with Windows 2008 in my Domain as well.lforbes
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2009 7:21pm

Thanks IForbes for the reply....I have googled out in this regards but still havent found any solution to this problem......Although i forgot to mention that it works fine in firefox but not in Internet Explorer 7
February 1st, 2009 8:10pm

Hi Ken,I performthe sametests on my computer, and it works fine. Did you encountered the same problem on all the computers?Please try to use the admin account to see whether this issue persists.In addition, I recommend that you do these tests on some other computer:1, Manaully map a drive from the other computer2, Login Yahoo or hotmail and then try to attach a file from the mapped drive to test whether this issue continues.Regards,Vincent Hu
February 2nd, 2009 1:34am

Thanks Vincent for the reply. It works finefrom administrator's login. But doesn't work from terminal user's login. I am trying to remove terminal policy one by one to see which policy is affecting that. I have disabled desktop redirection, disabled policy that was preventinguser access to "run" (command prompt) but still without luck. Meabwhile please reply me if you find any thing important in this regards....
February 2nd, 2009 1:47am

Vincent I have tried to map manually another network drive from a different computer (from different domain by givingdomain administrator'scredentials of that domain) and it works fine. But I dont know why it says access denied from 2008 network drives. May be because I have given domain administrator's credentials of the domain to which computer belongs to as i said earlier that i dont have problem accessing network drive from administrator's login but the problem is with terminal user's login.
February 2nd, 2009 2:01am

Vincent you were right. I works fine when the network drives are manually mapped from different computer (different domaineven even as a domain user without administrative privilege). Dont know why it is unhappy with the 2008 network drive. Strange problem........???
February 2nd, 2009 2:14am

Hi, I even mapped the drive from a Windows Server 2008 computer, it works fine.I suspect it's the problem of the client that your users are using. Please focus on the thin client (using Wyse Terminal). Best regards,Vincent Hu
February 2nd, 2009 4:29am

hi ken ,you are concentrating on thin client which is chopped down version of windows xp , called as Windows xp Embedded.so i would like you to test if the same setup is working good with thin client and windows 2003 TS ?If the above is working fine , then next step to check if windows xp pro is working with windows 2008 TS ?I guess in wyse thin clients the Z drive is associated as RAMDISK ? sainath Windows Driver Development
February 2nd, 2009 4:52am

Hi Vincent / SainathThe problem occurs even when i am RDPing (Remote Desktop Connection) into 2008 server from my Window XP Pro. So the problems occurs both from Wyse Terminal and XP as a client.See it doesn't have any problems when i am using firefox. I can access all the 2008 network drives from firefox. Its the problem from Internet Explorer 7. Again it seems fine when i access the 2008 network drive through windows explorer or my computer.....
February 2nd, 2009 6:19pm

Also Sainath........At all other branches and even here at head office we have Windows 2003 on server side and Wyse Terminal and only few XP on client side. But it works absolutely fine without any problems.
February 2nd, 2009 6:23pm

hi ken,thanks for the feedback. i would like to know, if this issue is really with the script you have written.can we remove the script an dtest the functionality ?also you can make the clients to join a new OU with which your clients will not have any policies applied .IE7 with latest wininet.dll should work fine while attaching a document. Might be the drive which clietns are trying to map is unavailable , from the clients are you able to successfull acess the drive using \\IPaddress ?Action plan========remove the login script and try accessing the drivealso point your clients to new ou sainath Windows Driver Development
February 3rd, 2009 1:26am

Thanks Sainath for reply.But I have already disabled login script and tried to map drives through netlogon - active directory (other way of mapping drive). But still gives me the same problem........
February 3rd, 2009 1:36am

"from the clients are you able to successfull acess the drive using \\IPaddress"Well therewas a group policy that prevented client to access share through windows explorer and internet explorer address bar. I did removed that and now i am able to access share through windows explorer and internet explorer address bar (both through IP and name) but the problem is when i am trying toattach the files from yahoo orhotmail (using IE7) from client login and when i try to access the file from network share it says access denied.
February 3rd, 2009 1:41am

Sainath I have moved the "test" from the OU whereall the policies were applying. I have moved"test"user to different location and made sure none of the policy applies on him except Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller Policy. Still having problems accessing the network drive from IE7 (while trying to attach file from yahoo or hotmail). I will do some further testing tommorow and let you know. Meanwhile please keep me posted if you come accross anything important
February 3rd, 2009 2:16am

I have done further testing and found out that none of the group policyis affecting this. I dont know whether this is a bug on Server 2008 end........I have also given all the users access to d drive where all the shared folders are located. Intrestingly from hotmail and yahoo when i try to attach file locally through d drive and than browse through the "common" or their "home folder" i can attach those files but not through the network drive.
February 3rd, 2009 10:09pm

hi ken,the behavior which you are exhibiting is pretty strange , and its not a bug in windows 2008 . when you try to attach a file using IE 7 you are experiencing a problem , and this is happening with a) local user with / withoutadmin priviliges,b) domain user c) with out any group policieshave you tried reseting the IE7 settings ?As thin clients do not have safe mode with networking option we need to look for other options.Question======are you able to attach the file from your local computer ?sainath Windows Driver Development
February 4th, 2009 7:25am

Well local user.......This 2008 machine is a Domain Controller and DNS itself. I dont get you what you meant by local user.....Secondly I can attach files from administrator's login (from network drives) but i can't attach files from domain user's login even though he is a member of administrators group.I have reset all internet explorer settings but again same result......"are you able to attach the file from your local computer"yes. well as i said earlier that i have given read access to "d" drive (where all the shared folders are including common and their home folder) to all users and i can browse through the d drive (as a domain user)and can attach files and pictures from common and home folder.....there is no problems attaching locally.................but i dont to give themaccess to d drive...........I only want to give them network drive....but sadly cant attach files from network drive as it denies the access.........
February 4th, 2009 8:28pm

Ken, Were you able to find a solution to this? Exact problem happening at one of our clients. We've exhausted the Group Policy settings, it has to be something else... I'm very interested to hear your feedback. Thanks!
May 19th, 2009 5:08pm

Hi Epinto I still haven't figured out why it is doing that. I am tired googling out for solution. Atlast I told all my users to use firefox instead of IE if they want to attach files in their emails using yahoo or hotmail. Though I haven't tried installing IE8 and see the results......... If you find something please let me know. Thanks
May 22nd, 2009 1:56am

Hi Bart I have already installed IE8 and the problem still persist. Atlast as I said earlier I told my users to use Firefox. Howerver I haven't tried the local policy you suggested. I will try it and let you know how it goes. However do you know the the implications of disabling that policy. Just getting bit curious. Many many thanks for suggesting the solution mate...... Regards Ken. Hi Bart I have already had that setting (User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for Built-in Administrator account) set to disabled. However what I can understand from this policy is that by disabling this setting the Built-in Administrator will logon in XP compatible mode and run all applications by default with full administrative privilege. The built in administrator won't have to hit permit or deny everytime if the operation requires the elevation of priviledges. I guess it has nothing to do with the problems we face. It is good for you that you got rid of that problem. Have you made any other changes to your system ??? Regards, Ken
January 24th, 2010 9:13pm

Hi Ken,Didn't make any other changes to the system. Strange part was that when I used my own account (domain admin/local admin) I also couldn't open the network shares. So I was investigating and came to the solution the logon credentials didn't came along. For instance, when you open Internet Explorer and go to File - Open and then type the UNC path, it will ask you for username and password. But when opening the same path in Windows Explorer, it doesn't. Also installing Adobe Reader 9 on TS was a problem. My account can open Adobe Reader without any problems, but other account got errors, and the application shut.When setting Adobe to start in XP compatible mode, all problems where gone. So I thought, maybe this also will work on Internet Explorer. Only thing is, you can't set this up so I have looked for an other possible solution and came up with setting the local security policy.After making the change, you can wait for about 15 to 30 minutes to replicate (sometimes it takes longer and is only neccesary when users are logged on) else you could reboot the server so it can apply the setting who are changed much faster (reboot will take about 5 to 10 min denpendable on the hardware).My question to you, have you already tried the setting? If not, you could give it a go and if the problem is dissapeared you know it was the setting else you could change the setting back.Regards,Bart
January 28th, 2010 8:21am

In IE 8 go on Internet Options, security and remove 'Enable Protected Mode'. Or add site to trusted sites list I got rid of "Location is not available" "Network access is denied." message on Server 2008 standard R1 this way.
February 25th, 2010 12:23pm

This is related to the Internet Security Settings in IE. To eliminate the issue you need to set your Intranet settings to "low" and then "allow mixed content" Another thing is to add the server name to the trusted sites and then set the trusted sites to "low" with "allow mixed content". Add the server in the format file://servername/ We set it at the Group Policy server level for all users. If you go to Group Policy - Create a special one for IE settings (if the GP corrupts you don't want to have to delete it). User Configuration (Enabled) Windows Settings Internet Explorer Maintenance Security/Security Zones and Content Ratings Import and import from a workstation or a server that is NOT running the secure configuration program installed by default with servers (I uninstall that in add-remove programs). lforbes
October 11th, 2011 9:37pm

I really feel sorry for the person posting the problem here. I have the same issue and the advice is not only terrible but for the most part a total waste of time. Lowering security is absurd and dangerous - what on earth are you thinking giving out advice like this. The constant "I advise that you contact Microsoft Support" is equally useless and just takes up space - if you don't know anything then don't post. The "it works on my machine" is equally frustrating ... we are not working on your machine and what on earth does it have to do with our problem... I am drinking a cup of coffee ... does this matter... again a stupid comment. This post went on and on with zero solid advice.... I see this all over the place and like some of the stuff here it can be dangerous... besides the fact that you are wasting everyones time. I will look again for a proper answer .. and no this is not strange .. it is a bug that has been around for a long time and foxpro still works. Just another example where IE needs something done that is not obvious.
February 7th, 2012 10:39pm

Why would you not want to trust and allow your own server? Adding my mapped server drive to "trusted sites" did not fix my problem. I was able to add the website that I needed to upload files (yousendit.com) to "trusted sites" and can now browse and attach files in IE 9.
August 1st, 2012 4:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics