access denied when trying to connect to event viewer Remotely
Hi I have a SCCM 2007 on Windows 2008 R2. Win XPsp3 Clients. whenever i try to access the event viewer remotely, I get an "Access is denied(5)" error (right click on station>start>windows event viewer) resource explorer works fine as well as remote tools. port 135 is open. same error when I use eventvwr and > connect to another computer Im connecting as domain admin. thanks TH
January 15th, 2012 3:40am

Hi. You say that 135 is open, if we look at Service overview and network port requirements for the Windows Server system KB832017. We see that it uses: <<>> RPC/named pipes (NP) TCP 139 RPC/NP TCP 445 RPC/NP UDP 137 RPC/NP UDP 138 Note The Event Log service uses RPC over named pipes. This service has the same firewall requirements as those of the "File and Printer Sharing" feature. <</>> Is "File and printing sharing enabled" in the firewall?Oscar Virot
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 15th, 2012 9:23am

yes TCP139 is open.
January 15th, 2012 9:54am

Hi, Oh, it's abnormal and maybe something corrupt. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.Rick Tan TechNet Community Support
January 17th, 2012 2:02am

Hi, This issue could be caused by that GPO policy is pushing down permissions from the System32 folder that is too restrictive for the 2008R2 permissions that are needed. Based on current sitaution, please Added permissions to the GPO for the \windows\system32\winevt\logs folder and check the result. Thanks. Kevin NiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 17th, 2012 9:46pm

was this on the local machine or the remote server?
April 3rd, 2012 6:41pm

on the remote machine.
April 9th, 2012 6:11pm

I have tried this on multiple machines over the years, and it doesn't work (winreg already has read access set for the 'Local Service' account), additionally none of these machines are upgrades from Win 2k. The only thing that does work is to grant read permissions to the SecurePipeServers key for Local Service.
November 8th, 2012 10:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics