access VMs in HyperV remotly
Hi, in VS 2005, I used vmrc to access my VMs from different machines, how can I connect to VMs from my laptop to a VM created in Hyper-V? is there any client tool provided with it? I don't want to use terminal service thanks
March 26th, 2008 2:01pm

Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT)There's good news for all you waiting on the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT). Microsoft has released the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows Vista. Remember, to be able to install RSAT on Windows Vista, Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista is required and must therefore already be installed! Download locations can be found below: Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista SP1 (x86) Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista SP1 (x64) Hyper-V Management Microsoft also placed an update for Microsoft Windows Vista with ServicePack 1 on its download servers that enables you to enable remote management of a Windows Server 2008 computer running the Hyper-V RC0 role. All users of the Hyper-V role are encouraged to apply this upgrade. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Update for Windows Vista (KB949758) (x86) Update for Windows Vista (KB949758) (x64)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 26th, 2008 2:10pm

You can copy the client files from the Hyper-V directory. Your host needs to be a domain member at the moment (no means of authenticating except pass-through).
March 26th, 2008 6:11pm

Currently I have Win XP pro on my laptopa,d a little bit afraid to migrate to Vista because of drivers issues I have seen when I ran the migration assistanbt wizard 6 months ago
March 26th, 2008 6:16pm

Forgot to say that I don't have a domain, I have a workgroup,any other ideas
March 26th, 2008 6:17pm

Then it's RDP to your physical host and then the Hyper-V mgmt interface. Or RDP to your virtual hosts.
March 27th, 2008 11:14am

Thanks toall of you, yes, started using RDP but my remote desktop version is not running NLA so I can not really use the option "Allow connections .........running RD with Network Level Authentification". is there an add on or a plug for RDP on win XP pro? Thanks
March 29th, 2008 4:41pm

I'm sorry to have to inform you in Windows XP you cannot use Network Level Authentication (NLA) with Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client). (Source) This is a specific issue to Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 and is not resolved with installing Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0). Windows XP ServicePack 3 is scheduled to include version 6.1 of the Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client) which might enable Network Level Authentication (NLA) on this platform. Your options: Download a release candidate version of Windows XP ServicePack 3 and install it. After installation check to see whether Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client) 6.1 allows Network Level Authentication (NLA) to your platform (check the About screen) Compile your own version of the Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client) 6.1 for Windows XP ServicePack 2, using the steps described here. Wait for Windows XP ServicePack 3 or Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client) 6.1 from Microsoft. Use the Remote Desktop Protocol without Network Level Authentication (NLA) by selecting the 'Allow connection from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)' option in the Remote Desktop portion of the System Properties of your Windows Server 2008 box. Note:Only the last 2 optionsare Microsoft supported options in production environments.
March 30th, 2008 10:11am

Thanks a lot, but why then on the download page of client 6 it is indicated that it supports NLA. Anyway, I will waith for SP3. Do you have any idea when SP3 will be released?
March 30th, 2008 12:23pm

SalamELIAS wrote: Do you have any idea when SP3 will be released? Microsofthas decidednotto publiclydiclose the release schedule for Windows XP ServicePack 3. Your guess is as good as mine.
March 30th, 2008 12:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics