Zone Redundant Storage (ZRS) provided by blob storage is sync or async?

Hi all, 

My question is, 

I use blob storage with replication option: Zone Redundant Storage (ZRS).

When I get 200 OK after upload an file, does the file already 3 copies or not?

Description in the document is unclear: "Zone-redundant storage (ZRS). Zone-redundant storage maintains three copies of your data. ZRS is replicated three times across two to three facilities, either within a single region or across two regions, providing higher durability than LRS. ZRS ensures that your data is durable within a single region."

• Edited by okwap Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:53 PM typo
July 30th, 2015 9:41am

Hi,

So when you upload a file to a storage account that is protected via zone redundant replication, the updated storage content will be replicated thrice as mentioned in the article.

Any changes you make to your storage will reflect on the three copies stored across the two to three facilities.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Malar.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2015 5:32am

Hi Malar, 

I know my file on azure storage will "eventually" has three copy. (In ZRS case)

My question is, how fast it is?

That's look at the document for discussion: http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/storage/

For LRS, it says that "Makes multiple synchronous copies of your data "

For ZRS, on the other hand, it does not mention the copy is either synchronous or asynchronous.

If the document implies ZRS is work in asynchronous way, my data may loss before all three copies are done.

Hope my question is clear. Thanks.

July 31st, 2015 6:33am

Hi okwap,

Actually ZRS is the extension of LRS. LRS keeps 3 replicas of your data within a single facility within a single region, while ZRS keeps 3 replicas of your data across 2 to 3 facilities in 1 or 2 regions. Their replication process are both synchronous.

For further details, please refer to Introducing ZRS .

Best Regards,

Zhaoxing Lu

• Marked as answer by okwap Monday, August 24, 2015 4:47 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 14th, 2015 1:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics