You were not connected bacause a duplicate name exists on the network.
I have a windows 2003 sp2 server that needs to use a dns alias host name of a virtual windows 2008 r2 server. We can ping to the correct ip address. I have done the steps in Article ID: 281308 on the 2003 server. No joy in mudville. We did have the CNAME set in DNS and can ping from anywhere. I cannot map from the 2003 server or windows 7 pc or browse to the shares. I have run ipconfig /flushdns. I even added the new ip address to the host file on the 2003 server. On the 2008 server I can browse to the alias name shares. Help Please!! I have about 500 scripts I am going to have to change if I don't get this resolved!!Karon W
August 7th, 2012 3:02pm

Hi Karon, What is the error you are getting when accessing the shares? How are you accessing the shares? Through Netbios name or FQDN? Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 7th, 2012 3:23pm

HA! I misread the posts to article info... Read the heading of Windows 2003 server as Windows 2008 Server and it works! The registry entry needed to be done on the 2008 server I was trying to get TO - not the 2003 server I was trying to get FROM.. Boy was I stressing!! Thanks for the input!! I was using the following fomat \\<servername>\<sharename> For example: \\svr-server1\administration All is well and my stress level is now manageable! Karon W
August 7th, 2012 4:09pm

What article were you reading?
August 31st, 2012 9:56am

Article ID: 281308Karon W
August 31st, 2012 10:15am

So I need to make the registry change on the server 2008 machine, NOT the affected Win 2k3/XP machines, yes?
August 31st, 2012 10:28am

Yep! Because the problem in on the 2008 server and what it is telling the "affected" machines... Karon W
August 31st, 2012 2:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics