You need permission to perform....Windows 2008 R2
Hi, Has anyone experienced "You need permission to perform this action..." on a Windows folder on a shared drive in Windows 2008 R2? I first assigned a group (to which the users are members) with modify permissions, and then when that did not work, I assigned full control (with perms propagating all the way down); and I still got this error. Even as an administrator I was not able to create a simple folder on the folder (which is also subfolder of a share). If a user copies items from another location to this folder, the error still occurs. I've seen various articles about UAC etc, but I don't think this is applicable in this case... as these are non admins, and they have perms to this network folder. Very strange and I hav not encountered this in Windows 2003 environment - any ideas? Btw, this is in an RDS session on Windows 2008 R2 in 2008 AD... Really would appreciate a quick reply if anyone has encountered this issue...? TIA
June 9th, 2011 8:05am

Two things to check. You say that you have checked the permissions. Does this include the 'share' permission as well as the NTFS permissions:- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc726004.aspx Also, check the owner of the folder, and if necessary, take ownership of it:- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspxAlan Moseley
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 9th, 2011 9:02am

Hi Alan, You had just read my mind; i was wracking my brains and when I looked at share perms, it was only set to Read; I changed to RW, and I can could create files and folders once more - what a schoolboy error, but I don't recall this in 2003, where I set ppl with read share perms but NTFS perms different; unless I am being silly... But your first link addresses this! Thanks for the response!!
June 9th, 2011 11:45am

I'm afraid that the share permissions were definately present in 2003, and in 2000, and I think in NT (I haven't looked at one of those for a few years!). Never mind, glad you sorted it and that I was of some assistance.Alan Moseley
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 9th, 2011 11:54am

oh my word, it REALLY WAS a schoolboy error!I know that there were share perms, but I just didn't recall this behaviour...oh well... thanks for your help! need to brush up on those basics!
June 10th, 2011 11:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics