You have reached the limit for revoking licenses. Need to remove revoked licenses.

Hi everyone!

I have a Windows Server 2008 SP1 providing RDS and RD Licensing (Licencing is per device). For some reason I have a several Wyse terminals that have obtained more than one license. Sometimes one Wyse terminal had issued at least 5 licenses, others more. These Wyse terminals were removed to be fixed. Anyway, I began to revoke the licenses that were repeated in the RD Licensing Manager for a few days, until I got this message:

"...RDS Per Device CAL cannot be revoked because you have reached the limit for revoking licenses of this type. You cannot revoke another WS2008 or WS2008R2 TS or RDS Device CAL until after January 10, 2012..."

Now I have some terminals that their licenses expired and can not get a new one.

Is there a way I could remove those revoked licenses or change the date so I could revoke more.

Thanks in advance!

December 30th, 2011 3:13pm

Hello Carmelo,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 2nd, 2012 2:01am

Thanks Tiger!

January 3rd, 2012 1:06pm

Hi,

After you have revoked the RDS Per Device CAL, that RDS Per Device CAL is immediately available to be issued to another client computer or device. Revocation is not a substitute for ensuring that you have enough RDS Per Device CALs to support your environment.

You can only revoke up to twenty percent of the number of RDS Per Device CALs of a particular version installed on your license server. For example, if there are 100 Windows Server 2008 TS Per Device CALs installed on the license server, you can only have 20 of those Windows Server 2008 TS Per Device CALs revoked at any given time.

Revoke Client Access Licenses (CALs) manually.

Please refer to the following article for detail:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2008/02/15/manual-revocation-of-client-access-licenses-cals.aspx

In my experience , you cannot remove those revoked licenses or change the date so that you can revoke more. if you want to revoke all issued pre device licenses, you may rebuild the RD licensing server database.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273566/en-us

In each of these cases, you must call the Microsoft Clearinghouse to reinstall the appropriate CALs. For information about how to call the Clearinghouse, see Locate the Microsoft Clearinghouse telephone number for your country or region.

Hope this helps.

January 4th, 2012 9:04am

Hi Dollar,

Thanks for the reply. Rebuilding the database was my only option.

For those that would like to follow the steps in the article ID 273566 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273566/en-us), the only problem I had was that the TS Licensing service will not start due to the security that the new folder "lserver" had and I could not duplicate those. Instead what I did was leave the "lserver" folder and only move the files and sub folders to a backup folder and the rest was easy.

January 5th, 2012 2:56pm

Hi Dollar,

The event viewer info:

---------------

Event ID: 44

Source: TerminalServices-Licensing

Level: Error

Description:  The following general database error has occurred: "Can't initialize ESE instance - error -1032 JET_errFileAccessDenied, Cannot access file, the file is locked or in use.

---------------

This is what I found regarding this event http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727345(WS.10).aspx

January 9th, 2012 3:39pm

Hi,

Unable to start terminal server licensing service.

Getting error message

"The following general database error has occurred: "Can't initialize ESE instance - error -1032 JET_errFileAccessDenied, Cannot access file, the file is locked or in use."

Please add ‘network service’ to the security ACLs of c:\windows\system32\lserver folder and give it full control permissions. This is because Terminal Server Licensing service runs in the context of ‘network service’ and so it needs to have appropriate rights over the Lserver folder.

January 11th, 2012 8:09pm

Hi Dollar,

Yes, I found that in Technet http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727345(WS.10).aspx

The network service is "NT Service\TermServLicensing".

Thanks!

January 11th, 2012 8:18pm

I have a similar problem and have been able to revoke devices in the past.  Currently I need to revoke a license, however when I try to do so it states that I must wait until after Feb 15, 2012.  Today is the 16th and I am unable to pull the license.  Is there a know solution to this problem?
February 16th, 2012 8:29pm

Microsoft should release a tool to flush/clear all currently issues license allocation to users/devices by a terminal server. I have been with ClearingHouse IVR for the past 2 hours and none of the teams ( i have been through tech support to volume licensing to terminal services licensing ) are able to provide me with help with recovering a license pack key id, for a server which i am re-deploying and which was earlier deployed by someone who doesn't work here any more. So i have just the license server ID and a backup of the TLSLic.edb which i backed up. I am stranded !!!
August 14th, 2015 3:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics