You do not have permission to change your password
I've set up some new user accounts on Windows Server 2008 64Bit, and given the users instructions on how to change their password from their XP machines (Ctrl-Alt-Del, Change Password, etc). Most users get the "You do not have permission to change your password" error. All machines are on the same local intranet. Lots of references to this problem on the web but nothing definitive about how to fix it. Suggestions? I really don't want to gice everyone access via Remote Desktop, and I don't want to have them come to my office every time a password needs to be changed. Thanks.
October 14th, 2010 12:54pm

Check you password policy on your default domain policy..Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 14th, 2010 3:50pm

Thanks, but I don't see anything under Security Settings-->Account Policy-->Password Policy that seems applicable: Enforce password history 0 passwords remembered Maximum password age 42 days Minimum password age 0 days Minimum password length 0 characters Password must meet complexity requirements Enabled Store passwords using reversible encryption Disabled Anything wrong there?
October 14th, 2010 4:14pm

Hi, Check the ACEs/ACLs on the user objects in AD and verify that the "Change Password" Special Permission is set to "Allow" for the respective accounts (likewise, ensure that there is no explicit Deny on the accounts or groups to which the accounts belong to, for example "Everyone"). Regards, Salvador Manaois III MCSE MCSA CEH MCITP | Enterprise/Server Admin Bytes & Badz : http://badzmanaois.blogspot.com Scripting, the SysAdmin Way : http://sgwindowsgroup.org/blogs/badz
October 14th, 2010 9:02pm

The only group the new users belong to is the 'Users' group, and I don't see anything that would deny them the ability to change their password. More importantly, it seems to depend on the machine they're trying to change their password from. For example: I have 2 XP computers in my office. From 1 of them, I can change a user's password (again, using Ctrl-Alt-Del, Change Password, etc), but from the other, when trying to change the same user's password, I get the 'You do not have permission to change your password' error message. Both computers are on the same network, configured the same way. So I would assume it's not user related, but somehow machine or network related. Is there a network policy that might be affecting this?
October 15th, 2010 8:27am

Hi, If it is possible, I suggest that you re-join the computer to the domain and check if it can resolve the issue. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 18th, 2010 1:17am

Hi, Any update on the issue? If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to respond back. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 22nd, 2010 4:46am

I finally found a workaround. It turns out that if the users first map a drive on the server (I set up a share for this), and then try to change their password, they can successfully change it. I haven't heard back from everyone yet to confirm this, but it looks promising. In retrospect, I suppose this wasn't really a Windows Server problem at all, given that some people saw the error and others didn't, and given that everybody's account on the Windows Server was set up the same way.
October 22nd, 2010 8:34am

Hi, Thanks for your update. If you need any assistance in the future, please feel free to post in our forum. Have a nice day.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 24th, 2010 9:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics