XP Pro clients can no longer connect to SBS 2003 R2 server after software update 17/01/2008
Can no longer connect clients running XP Pro to Server running SBS 2003 R3 (local or remote) and cannot ping server from clients but can use terminal services from within SBS 2003 to connect to clients in local network. Was able to connect prior to installing auto updates on 17th January and could use web access from remote notebook client plus get e-mail from Exchange server via MS Outlook 2007 on this notebook. Server sits behind D-Link DI-707P router and server plus clients are running Trend Micro WFBS 5 Advanced.Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution please?
January 22nd, 2009 7:33am

Hi, This sounds similar to something I experienced after installing SP2 on Windows 2003 Server. You can try this KB article. I have patched all my servers.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948496/ Cheers,Laralforbes
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 23rd, 2009 10:19am

Hi Lara, Many thanks will take a look. DHCP seems to be running in services but does not appear as a Snap in with other things such as DNS and not sure is this is normal. Regards, Derek
January 28th, 2009 2:05pm

Hi, You can easily get the snap-in back. Just run the adminpak.msi from the Domain Controller. It will reinstall all the AD tools including DNS and DHCP snapins.\\server\c$\windows\system32\adminpak.msi Cheers, Laralforbes
January 29th, 2009 12:28am

Hi Lara, Many thanks - will try to get snap-in back tonight. Rgds Derek
January 29th, 2009 4:39am

Hi Lara, Thanks very much - have now got DHCP snap in showing upand the range looks OK at 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.199 and server is fixed IP of 192.168.0.2. After thissucess I again disabled the DHCP on the Netgear FVS 318 and ran the connect to network/email wizard on server but this did not resolve the problem - clients cannot ping the server by name or IP address whereas I can ping clients by IP address only from the server - names come back with old IP addresses (e.g. SYDLT001 comes back on a name ping with 192.168.0.188 but most recent IP is 192.168.0.3). One client lost connection internet and network so have had to take server off network and revert to Netgear router as DHCP to get internet and e-mail traffic on clients working again. Many thanks Regards, Derek
January 30th, 2009 3:04am

As a Rule I don't include my server in a DHCP Scope. You can do an excludehowever the old school in me just starts the DHCP scope after the servers IP. I use a Class B though 172.16.x.x with 255.255.0.0 to give me more IP's. Something to try: Go to the DHCP Server and change the scope to 192.168.0.5 to 192.168.0.199. Then go to the server in the properties of TCP/IP and set the IP of 192.168.0.2 manually and also enter that as the DNS, WINSand DHCP too and set to register address in DNS. Disable any DNS and DHCP on the Netgear. Is it a router? If so that maybe your issue. I have my internal network running with switches and then just the router connected to my Internet server (ISA).lforbes
January 30th, 2009 3:58am

Lara, Many thanks - will make those IP changestonight and see what happens.
January 30th, 2009 4:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics