XP PC Cannot load roaming profile from a new 2008 window server
Hi Everyone, Hope you can help. I have a new site with two new 2008 32 bit servers. One is for domain controller and one is for file print. The user and profile share folders are on the file print. We also have group policy implemented so the My Docs and app data will route to the server. Other DCs in other locations are in 2003 server. Now we tried to setup a first new user account with the default user folder and profile path to the new file print. I also assign full permissions with the user account to the profile and users folders. But now, when I tried to log on a XP PC to test out the account, there are some errors. First, the roaming profile cannot be load from the server. It said the temp profile will load and all changes will not be saved. Second, when I tried to reset the user passowrd by hitting Alt Ctrl Del keys on the XP PC, it told me my password does not meet the requirement... I tried and tried...and I am pretty sure I tried very long and complex one, but still failed to change. The GPO applied on thsi site seems ok. All point to a right server name. Hope you can help...I have just one day before the deadline comes. Thank you!! Takami Chiro
March 31st, 2011 3:59pm

Hi, I would like to explain that the Password Policy can only be applied on Domain level. Please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article to verify the permissions for roaming user profile. Security Recommendations for Roaming User Profiles Shared Folders http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757013(WS.10).aspx If the issue persists, please also refer to the following Microsoft articles to check if the hotfixes can fix the issue for you. When you try to log on to a Windows XP SP3-based computer by using a roaming profile, the roaming profile cannot load. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958058 Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based or Windows Server 2008-based computer that uses roaming user profiles: "Unable to log you on because your profile could not be loaded, please contact your administrator" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960464 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2011 12:48am

Hi Arthur, Nice to hear from you. Thank you for your info. In fact, the password problem, which I tried to hit alt ctrl delete to hit the "change password" button, still exists, and is not related to the profile issue. Or you think it is related? We have one company wide GPO,which include the password policy. And I created a new one for this new site which sits top of the company wide GPO. The new GPO is just for folder and app data redirect. In other sites, I can hit alt ctrl del button on the XP client PC to change the passowrd. However, it does not work in the new site. It keeps saying it does not meet the complexity requirement such as cap, sym, num. But I am pretty should what I typed in meet the requirement. What else should I look into? Thank you very much. Have a great weekend. Takami Chiro
April 1st, 2011 7:32pm

Hi, I realize that you have linked Password Policy GPO to Site level instead of Domain level. Would you please try to correct it and check the result? For the user profile issue, please also check the Microsoft TechNet and KB articles in my previous post. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 5th, 2011 4:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics