XP Inbound connection limit issue
I have a customer who has a Windows 2003 Server at their corporate office with a 40 cal users. 25 of those users reside at the corporate office. There are file shares on the Windows Server (none of which are actually published in Active Directory). The have one remote office where the other 15 clients are. NOTE that all clients are Windows XP with either SP2 or SP3(most). The remote workstations are joined to the domain and sign into it as well. To limit their bandwidth usage to the host the obtained an XP Pro SP3 workstation that holds the shared files needed only at the remote location. They also run a Symantec AV package at each location with managed package update deployment. The problems that are described in the Microsoft KB article Q314882 are happening and they get the "No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as computer can accept" message......What are my options? I know we can put a server OS on it. I don't know about Windows 7. Is there some kind of override settings I can do? Also, if I published the shares in AD and they were browsed from there would that circumvent the issue or would it just again come around to being too many connections into the XP box....HELP!!!
August 16th, 2010 6:42pm

Hello, I suggest you first check the value of deployment share folder connection limit: 1. Right click your Deployment Share folder and choose properties. 2. In Sharing tab, click "Advanced Sharing". 3. In the "Limit the number of simultaneous user to" section, set the value to 999. 4. Click permission button, make sure "Everyone" has full control.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2010 6:47pm

Under my Sharing properties i don't have advanced - there is a user limit which is checked for maximum allowed. There is another choice to "Allow this number". I can enter a value over 10 but when I apply it goes back to 10???
August 16th, 2010 6:58pm

It is the same option. Appearently by default your option don't want to accespt more than 10 connections. Restart the server and check if you are able to change it or no. Best regards.
August 16th, 2010 7:02pm

10 connections is all you will be allowed no matter the path for Windows XP Professional Inbound connections limit in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882 Windows 7 may allow up to 20 inbound connections. http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
August 16th, 2010 7:21pm

You should use a Microsoft Windows Server operating system to avoid connection number limitations. Best regards.
August 16th, 2010 8:48pm

If we provided a Windows 2008 server (not as a Domain Controller, just as a member) could we join it to the 2003 Domain or are there any incompatibilities with that.
August 16th, 2010 10:47pm

Yes you can join it, you will not have a problem. Proceed by joining this Windows 2008 server in you domain and create on your shared folder and your problem will be solved. Best regards.
August 16th, 2010 10:51pm

Unless you are planning to promote it to a domain controller, there should be no issues with joining to a 2000 or 2003 domain as a member server. If you are planning on promoting it to a domain controller, I would look at this, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753437(WS.10).aspx -- Mike Burr
August 16th, 2010 10:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics