XCopy command prompt error, copy-item powershell works fine, explorer copy works fine
I've got a drive on our network that I make backups to every week by dropping to a command prompt and just doing an xcopy /s. This week I got a new drive and decided to try out Server 2008 64 bit. Today I started to make a backup to the removable drive and ran into a "Insufficient disk space" error message. I looked at the drive and it has some 212 gigs free and I'm only copying about 200 megs. I used windows explorer to copy and it worked fine without any errors. I tested it from the old drive(XP SP3 32bit) using xcopy at the command prompt and it worked fine. I made aXP SP232bithyper-v and ran the same test and it worked fine. I did the same operation to a different share on the network and it worked fine. My final test was using powershell with -recurse and -force and it also worked fine. What could be wrongwith xcopy and Server 2008 64 bit across a network to this particular device? It seems to hit a subdirectory and gives the insufficient disk space error. Why does explorer and powershell not have a problem while xcopy throws this error? Here's some captures of what I'm doing, when it works correctly I stop it as you get the drift. Here's what I get with xcopy: C:\development\JobSlip>xcopy c:\development\jobslip\*.* u:\Jason\Development\jobslip\ /s/cOverwrite U:\Jason\Development\jobslip\00000500.tpf (Yes/No/All)? aC:\development\jobslip\00000500.tpfC:\development\jobslip\app.configC:\development\jobslip\AssemblyInfo.csC:\development\jobslip\AxInterop.SHDocVw.dllC:\development\jobslip\AxSHDocVw.dllC:\development\jobslip\DirectShowLib.dllC:\development\jobslip\Form1.csC:\development\jobslip\form2.resxC:\development\jobslip\HTMLEditorControl.dllC:\development\jobslip\Interop.AgentObjects.dllC:\development\jobslip\Interop.AgentServerObjects.dllC:\development\jobslip\Interop.SHDocVw.dllC:\development\jobslip\itextsharp.dllC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.csprojC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.csproj.userC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.exe.manifestC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.icoC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.slnC:\development\jobslip\mssccprj.sccC:\development\jobslip\SHDocVw.dllC:\development\jobslip\SynapseNET.dllC:\development\jobslip\SynapseNET.dll.refreshC:\development\jobslip\untitled.palC:\development\jobslip\vssver.sccInsufficient disk space24 File(s) copied Here's what I get doing it to a test folder: C:\development\JobSlip>xcopy c:\development\jobslip\*.* c:\test\ /s/c | moreOverwrite C:\test\00000500.tpf (Yes/No/All)? aC:\development\jobslip\00000500.tpfC:\development\jobslip\app.configC:\development\jobslip\AssemblyInfo.csC:\development\jobslip\AxInterop.SHDocVw.dllC:\development\jobslip\AxSHDocVw.dllC:\development\jobslip\DirectShowLib.dllC:\development\jobslip\Form1.csC:\development\jobslip\form2.resxC:\development\jobslip\HTMLEditorControl.dllC:\development\jobslip\Interop.AgentObjects.dllC:\development\jobslip\Interop.AgentServerObjects.dllC:\development\jobslip\Interop.SHDocVw.dllC:\development\jobslip\itextsharp.dllC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.csprojC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.csproj.userC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.exe.manifestC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.icoC:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.slnC:\development\jobslip\mssccprj.sccC:\development\jobslip\SHDocVw.dllC:\development\jobslip\SynapseNET.dllC:\development\jobslip\SynapseNET.dll.refreshC:\development\jobslip\untitled.palC:\development\jobslip\vssver.sccC:\development\jobslip\bin\Debug\00000001.bmpC:\development\jobslip\bin\Debug\00000002.bmpC:\development\jobslip\bin\Debug\00000003.bmpC:\development\jobslip\bin\Debug\00000004.bmpC:\development\jobslip\bin\Debug\00000005.bmp Here's what I get to a _different_ share on the network: C:\development\JobSlip>xcopy *.* g:\jobslip\ /s/cOverwrite G:\jobslip\00000500.tpf (Yes/No/All)? aC:00000500.tpfC:app.configC:AssemblyInfo.csC:AxInterop.SHDocVw.dllC:AxSHDocVw.dllCirectShowLib.dllC:Form1.csC:form2.resxC:HTMLEditorControl.dllC:Interop.AgentObjects.dllC:Interop.AgentServerObjects.dllC:Interop.SHDocVw.dllC:itextsharp.dllC:JobSlip.csprojC:JobSlip.csproj.userC:JobSlip.exe.manifestC:JobSlip.icoC:JobSlip.slnC:mssccprj.sccCHDocVw.dllCynapseNET.dllCynapseNET.dll.refreshC:untitled.palC:vssver.sccC:bin\Debug\00000001.bmpC:bin\Debug\00000002.bmpC:bin\Debug\00000003.bmp Here's part of the powershell version PS C:\development\JobSlip> copy-item c:\development\jobslip -destination u:\users\jason\development\ -recurse -verbose -forceVERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy Directory" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Create Directory" on Target "Destination: U:\users\jason\development\jobslip".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\00000500.tpf Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\00000500.tpf".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\app.config Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\app.config".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\AssemblyInfo.cs Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\AssemblyInfo.cs".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\AxInterop.SHDocVw.dll Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\AxInterop.SHDocVw.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\AxSHDocVw.dll Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\AxSHDocVw.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\DirectShowLib.dll Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\DirectShowLib.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\Form1.cs Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\Form1.cs".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\form2.resx Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\form2.resx".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\HTMLEditorControl.dll Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\HTMLEditorControl.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\Interop.AgentObjects.dll Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\Interop.AgentObjects.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\Interop.AgentServerObjects.dllDestination: U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\Interop.AgentServerObjects.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\Interop.SHDocVw.dll Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\Interop.SHDocVw.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\itextsharp.dll Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\itextsharp.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.csproj Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\JobSlip.csproj".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.csproj.user Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\JobSlip.csproj.user".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.exe.manifest Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\JobSlip.exe.manifest".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.ico Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\JobSlip.ico".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.sln Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\JobSlip.sln".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\JobSlip.suo Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\JobSlip.suo".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\mssccprj.scc Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\mssccprj.scc".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\SHDocVw.dll Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\SHDocVw.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\SynapseNET.dll Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\SynapseNET.dll".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\SynapseNET.dll.refresh Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\SynapseNET.dll.refresh".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\untitled.pal Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\untitled.pal".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\vssver.scc Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\vssver.scc".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy Directory" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\bin Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\bin".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Create Directory" on Target "Destination: U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\bin".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy Directory" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\bin\Debug Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\bin\Debug".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Create Directory" on Target "Destination: U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\bin\Debug".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\bin\Debug\00000001.bmp Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\bin\Debug\00000001.bmp".VERBOSE: Performing operation "Copy File" on Target "Item: C:\development\jobslip\bin\Debug\00000002.bmp Destination:U:\users\jason\development\jobslip\bin\Debug\00000002.bmp".
April 11th, 2008 9:24pm

Aarrgh, you have effectively broken any manual back up routine I have. If I use xcopy there is a known "insufficient disk space" problem with large fikle names. I just tried moving folders from one drive to the next and get "The folder already exists, try renaming it" The folder exists, try renaming it? The programmer who created that error message should be shot!!!! Of course the folder may already exist, it is called backing up.... WHat is wrong with you peoplem, are you trying to force everyone to use your backup command, they even invented a cryptic ROBOCOPY instead of just fixing XCOPY. WTF!!!!! '
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2010 12:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics