Wrong NTFS permissions for automatically created roaming profile folder
Hi everyone, You think I am going crazy but this is what is happening in my Win2k3 domain. I just got employed as an I.T administrator with a school having a Win2k3 domain. We use roaming profiles and folder redirection. Basically, whenever I created a new AD user, i insert the %username% in the roaming profile path and home directory and everything works like a charm. However, if I add a new user by using the 'copy' function from another AD user (right-mouse button and copy), the NTFS permissions of the newly created home directory and roaming profile path are completely different from the ones that are created when a new user is created. I am terribly confused as I don't know how to troubleshoot the problem. The funny thing is that problem occurs when I copy from certain users and not everyone. Bizarre but true. I rechecked all the NTFS permissions in the parent folder and are correct. This can be verified by creating a completely new user (and not using the copy command). I am using Windows 2003 R2. Can someone help and shed some light as I am going blind :-) Thanks in advance.
March 10th, 2011 2:46pm

Hi, Copied account should be the same as new created one. As not all exist users have the same issue, please test to create a new test user, input roaming profile and home folder path as usual, check if permissions are fine. Then copy the test user to create a new test user2, check if permissions are still fine. Meanwhile please help confirm: 1. The current permission settings on root folder which storing roaming profiles folder and/or home folders. 2. The different between permissions of a correct account and an incorrect account. You find 2 accounts as examples.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 16th, 2011 3:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics