Write under HKCU via GPO
I deployed a simple logon script that should write some keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies ... However, the normal users of the domain have no permission to modify that node ... how can I do ? Thanks for help and if this is the wrong forum please move the question to the correct one. Thanks.
December 2nd, 2009 5:45pm

Hi,What kind of key are you trying to write under Policies?Can't you move them up to the HKLM?Anyway, I don't think this wil work because you are trying to alter the Policies.Your users will need local admin permissions.Maybe someone else an idea, I've read something using a compiled exe that reads the SID into a variable and uses it to add the values ore something.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 2nd, 2009 11:19pm

Hello, Thank you for your post here. Agree with GlennExpert that you will break the Group Policy User Configuration in the domain client if you grant Domain Users modify permissions on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies. Compared to Group Policy Preference settings, Group Policy settings contain enforced managed settings. Change policy settings is not allow on the client side. Policy settings reduce support costs by enforcing standard configurations, help prevent productivity loss, and protect an organization's assets. Most of User Configuration settings are applied to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies. If you grant the Domain Users modify permission on it, experienced users will be able to change the settings from Domain GPO via registry. To achieve your goal without grant the Domain Users modify permission, you may create your own ADM file to write keys and values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies because the Client Side Extension that executes the group policy administrative template will run under the SYSTEM security context. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
December 3rd, 2009 1:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics