Would like to make a Windows Server 2003 partition bootable
Hello, I have a laptop with three partitions, configured as follows: Partition 1: XP (bootable) Partition 2: XP (bootable) Partition 3: Windows Server 2003 (non-bootable) To log into Windows Server 2003 I select Partition 2 and then on the multi-boot menu that pops up I select the 2nd option which is the Windows Server 2003 O/S. What I would like is to be able to log onto the Windows Server 2003 partition directly, but I have no idea how to achieve this! Ideally I would like to retain the XP operating systems on Partitions 1 & 2, however if its necessary for me to blow these away then so be it. Could some one please explain (in steps) how I could make Partition 3 bootable without losing the O/S on it?... Do I have to use the utilities fxmbr and fixboot, and if so how? Your help would be much appreciated. Kind regards Sharon
October 29th, 2009 2:49am

Hi Sharon, According to your description, I assume your Windows Server 2003 O/S s boot.ini file is on the Partition 2. To make multi boot auto select Windows Server 2003 O/S, you can login to your Windows Server 2003 O/S as an administrator. Go to My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced, Click Startup and Recoverys Setting. In the System startup option: 1. Choose Default Operation System to Windows Server 2003.. 2. Tick off the option Time to display list of operation systems: In this way, the system will boot into Windows Server 2003 directly. If you want to go the original XP O/S, you can simply revert the above settings. Also, you can use other 3rd party boot utility tool to accomplish it. Best Regards, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 29th, 2009 6:33am

Hello Wilson,Thanks for your quick reply. Logged into the Windows 2003 Server, when I do My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Statup and Recovery->Settings I get the following message pop up: "The C:\boot.in file can not be opened. Operating System and Timing settings cannot be change." Then on the Startup and Recovery dialog box that pops up the Default operating system field is blank so there is no Boot.ini file to edit. I guess this is because as you mentioned the necessary boot.ini fileis actually on the XP operating system, on Partition 2. If I repeat the procedure logged into the XP operating system on Partition 2 I see the following entries in the boot.ini file: [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut Just for the further information, I am using a Partition Manager software to select an operating system during the start-up of the laptop. However, the software is only picking up two operating systems, ie the XP operating systems on Partitions 1 & 2, as these are bootable partitions.What I would like to do is able to boot into the Windows Server Partition 3 without having to go via the XP route ie if I blew away the two XP partitions completely, how would I be able to log into the Windows Server 2003 partition?... that's my dillema! :)Any further suggestions I could try? Thanks S
October 29th, 2009 3:36pm

Hi S,Thank you for your swift reply.As you can not edit access the boot.ini in the Startup and Recovery setting on Windows 2003 O/S, this might be caused by system file access permission issue. Please tryto logon Windows XP O/S, Go to Folder Options -> View -> disable "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and enable "Show hidden files and folders" option. Can you see the boot.ini under your system partition:\boot.ini. Right click it and choose properties, click Security, add everyone group into it and grant the "modify" permission.After above steps, reboot your computer, and login Windows 2003 O/S, can you edit boot.ini in the "Startup and Recovery" setting?If not, please try toedit the boot.ini file directly when you logon in Windows 2003 O/S.Best Regards,Wilson Jia This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 30th, 2009 7:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics