Workflows keep breaking - Service Requests get stuck in NEW status

This was happening weekly, but has recently started happening more often. I have to reboot the mgmt server and DB typically to fix it, stopping the services and deleting contents of the Health Services folder do not fix this problem.

Any suggestions? I do not have SQL Admin permissions, so I am limited on what I can do to troubleshoot these :(, but I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what other workflow may be breaking this one.

I have a lot of workflows that show needs attention - but the workflow shows succeeded, and I cannot remove them.... ignore doesnt clear, retry doesnt clear, nothing clears them.

I have a couple that I have to retry - mainly the autoclose workflows, sometimes notifications but they are rare.

Also, can anyone point me to a powershell script I can run to let me know when this might be happening? I typicvally have an Analyst call saying their tickets are stuck in New status, and this is normally 1-2 hours after it stops... I'd love to have a monitor check it and give me a heads up if something is new for more than 10 minutes, if this can be done.

Thanks for any help!

August 21st, 2015 2:04pm

First place you can check is the Operations Manager event log on the workflow server.  There might be some one-off thing that is killing your workflows.

Another thing to check, when the workflows do stop, check the workflow server's memory usage.  I used to have this happen.  Turns out that the Exchange Connector 3.0 and 2012 SP1 had issues.  Occasionally a large email with many attachments/embedded pictures would cause the Data Access Service to eat up all the RAM on the server then crash.  If you do see high RAM use, the only real fix is upgrading to R2 and the Exchange Connectors to 3.1.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 3:19pm

Hi,

Are both scsm management server and database server on the same server?

If so what are the CPU and RAM size?

If they are on different servers, what are thair CPU and RAM size?

Frat

August 21st, 2015 5:14pm

No they are on different servers.

The Management Server has an Intel Xeon E5-2665 Processor and 8 GB of Dynamic Ram.

The Database Server has the same processor, but 32 GB of Static Ram.

We have one mgmt server only, and were servicing 150-200 analysts working in consoles right now. I know this is extreme, and we are looking into adding more mgmt servers to accommodate the load.

I appreciate any assistance you can offer!

August 22nd, 2015 11:25am

Hey,

You must increase Management server ram size to minimum 16GB (I prifer as satatic)

But actually you must install secondary management server to your envirorment for Console connections. Because you have too many ananlyst user so its mean too many console connection on management server. Insufficient amount of RAM for this environment. So workflows crashes.

I think it is the reason of your problem.

Frat

August 22nd, 2015 6:29pm

Hey,

You must increase Management server ram size to minimum 16GB (I prefer as satatic)

But actually you must install secondary management server to your envirorment for Console connections. Because you have too many analyst user so its mean too many console connection on management server. Insufficient amount of RAM for this environment. So workflows crashes.

Frat

August 22nd, 2015 10:27pm

Hey,

You must increase Management server ram size to minimum 16GB (I prefer as satatic)

But actually you must install secondary management server to your envirorment for Console connections. Because you have too many analyst user so its mean too many console connection on management server. Insufficient amount of RAM for this environment. So workflows crashes.

Frat

Hey,

Frat

Hey,

Frat

Hey,

Frat

Thanks! I been preaching this, but the server boss will not listen :(.
August 24th, 2015 6:52pm

Is 8 GB Dynamic ok for just the workflow server if I get a secondary, or do both need 16GB ram Static?
August 24th, 2015 6:53pm

I generally assign 16GB Ram as static to all management servers. Honestly I dont prefer using dynamic ram.

Frat

August 25th, 2015 5:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics