Work Folders - Shared or Group Content

I have a group of users that need to be able to access a set of files, updated regularly by an department admin.  From anywhere.

I want to do this with Work Folders

I understand that Work Folders isn't (currently) intended for collaboration.

I understand that OneDrive for Business is the solution intended for accessing shared content.

I also understand that this limitation may be intentional to provide this limited functionality for "free" but not steal possible revenue from SharePoint / Office 365 sales.

That all said, there has got to be a way to do this in some limited fashion.

• Syncing the Work Folder without %userprofile%?
  • Providing some kind of link or shortcut into each %userprofile% folder that is accessible through Work Folders?
  • Tricking it with a Symbolic Link on the server?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

-Matt

September 2nd, 2015 12:25pm

So much for Symbolic Links...

• Symbolic links or Junctions

Work Folders doesnt support Symbolic links or junctions created under the Work Folders path. When a symlink or junction created, the sync will stop, and the following message will be shown to the user in the Work Folders Control panel: A reparse point was detected and wont be synced. User can delete the symlink or the junction, sync will be able to continue.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 12:36pm

Technically you can setup it in a shared folder but the result is not good. Please check that answer there, it's well told.
September 2nd, 2015 9:38pm

Technically you can setup it in a shared folder but the result is not good. Please check that answer there, it's
September 3rd, 2015 2:16pm

You are right, didn't tested it, but I think the setting you want is "Sync only this subfolder  : "", when you create the workfolders config.
September 3rd, 2015 11:29pm

You are right, didn't tested it, but I think the setting you want is "Sync only this subfolder  : "", when you create the workfolde
September 4th, 2015 4:47pm

If we remove from the talk sharepoint and such, did you thought to use Exchange public's folder ?

In history when sharepoint first come online strangely public folder support was getting more shady.

In OWA you can open public folder too, like in CU1 in Exchange 2013 they added back the support to do it in OWA, so it's still supported.

September 5th, 2015 9:39pm

What I've done is create / modify a set of PS scripts to sync the content of \\Server\Share, to C:\WorkFolders\[Subfolders]\Shared Files.  PS scripts monitor the share.  When they detect a change, they sync it to each of the user folders in Work Folders.

Currently testing.

-Matt

September 8th, 2015 2:23pm

On top of that I would use file dedup (you need 2012 server for that feature), to allow more efficient storage. (as the file would be multiplicated anyhow between folder)
September 8th, 2015 8:59pm

I have a copy in the source dir, and each user folder of the destination.  What am I de-duping?
September 9th, 2015 2:38pm

When I seen your idea I thougth to dedup, because dedup allow the filesystem to replicate the file only one time, thus a file X in 30 folder took less space on the disk.
September 9th, 2015 9:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics