Wireless-N connection for Desktop running Vista
Hi. I just bought a Dell Inspiron desktop with Vista Home Premium. I need to connect it to a wireless network. Three questions: (1.) Which is better (and why) a PCI card or a USB adaptor. (2.) What is the best brand (model if you have it) of either? (3.) Do I have to buy the same brand of USB/PCI card as the wireless router I'm connecting to?Many thanks.
May 21st, 2008 8:46pm

Are ypou sure that you need to buy anything? I would expect the laptop to have wireless networking built in. Have you booted up the laptop while the router is on? Does the Dell network utility run?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 22nd, 2008 2:34am

Hey, thanks for taking the time to respond. The computer is a desktop, not a laptop. The desktop Dell has an ethernet port, but I need a wireless connection. Unwittingly, I tried to install a USB adapter which was designed for XP, and it interfered with my video card (the screen went black). Realizing my mistake, I undid that. So, I've just bought a D-Link DWA-140 USB Network Adapter --- which is supposedly "Certified" for Vista --- and I'll try to install it tonight.If it works, that will be great. If not, perhaps I'll get a PCI slot wireless adapter and try that.:-)
May 22nd, 2008 2:23pm

Try to get Netgear Adapter it works for any operating system and very easy to install and try to secure your wireless connection with security WPA or WEP. mostly WEP works with Vista operating system.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 18th, 2011 10:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics