Winsows Server 2000 shuts down communication with local network from time to time.
Hi,I recently installed W2K8 over W2K3 and it is working smoothely.The only problem I'm facing is that the server lock out all internalcomputers from time to time.This happens every day. In order to overcome this issue, I have to restart the server.My server (SunFire X2100) has two network cards. One is connected to the ADSL and the other card is assosiated to the NAT.I tried to ping my network card from the server and I saw that the card is responding.Does anybody know how can I solve this problem?Thanks in advanceStelios
June 26th, 2008 12:47am

Would you please Elaborate your question, 1) Do you have any win 2000 server in your network ?? Windows Server 2000 shuts down communication with local network from time to time ?2) The server lock out all internalcomputers from time to time ?? What error exactly you when the lockouts happens ??waiting for your replyThanks Syed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2008 9:25am

Hi SyedThank you for your response.1. I don't have any W2k on my network. I have only a w2k8 (upgraded from W2k3)2.The server lock out all internalcomputers from time to time. TRUEI don't get any error on the local computers nor on the server.Suddenly, the local network adapter on the server is not responding to any client's request.If I ping the network card from withing the server environment, is responding.Can you please help me on this? All was working fine before the upgrade.Stelios
June 27th, 2008 12:03pm

Thanks for the post. If I was at your place I would have started trouble shootingfrom the Physical Layerlayer.1) Take a cross cable and connectserver and client and monitor the problem for an hour, if it works fine that means the NIC of the serveris working fine there might be a different issue.2) Replace the Network Card, Network switches or Hubs and try, might bethere is problem in the Switchor try swappingthe ports.3)Secondly, please disable all the services that are on the problematic server in turn to keep monitoring if the network issue will re-occure. Please do as follows: 1. Click Start -> Run... -> type msconfig and press Enter 2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services. 3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items 4. Click OK and choose Restart 5. After reboot, check whether the problem still occursPlease do check and let me knowThanks for you understanding Syed Khairuddin
June 27th, 2008 3:48pm

Hi Syed,Thanks for your post.If it is a material problem, why it is solved every time I restart the server?Perhaps is a driver problem? I can't figure out how to solve it, because it happens suddenly.There is no logic on the time that it stops responding.I will follow the your procedure and I will let you know.Stelios
June 27th, 2008 6:00pm

Hello, Please check first whether this issue is caused by the hardware problem on the NIC device or by driver related problems. You could try upgrading the driver of the NIC to the latest one and also do some test with other NIC devices. Meanwhile, please perform a clean boot to ensure this issue is not caused by some third party services. If the problem still occurs under clean boot, please try to boot your server in Safe mode with networking support and then please have another test. Please let us know the result after you finish the tests. Thanks.
July 1st, 2008 9:56am

Hi Stelos, It looks that you have an agent, software or driver searching for something. Have you install a Symantec End Point Protection? it install a driver Teefer2 driver that search in your network connections. Try to disable this driver!best regards,ToniEng.
July 1st, 2008 10:35am

Thank you all for your help.This is the first day afterupgrading the driversof the NetXtreme card.The local networkworks justfine. I hope thiscontinues!!When I upgraded to W2K8, the drivers remained the same as for W2K3.To overcome my problem, I upgraded the Server firmware to the last edition and I downloaded the W2K8 drivers that for NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet adapter from the Broadcom web site.Thank you again for your support.Stelios
July 2nd, 2008 10:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics