Wins Error 4102
I am getting a error 4102 on one of my wins server, the descrption is " The connection was aborted by the remote WINS. Remote WINS may not be configured to replicate with the server. " It is 2003 std SP3, the time is sync within my domain, and the only server it is setup to sync with is setup to sync with it as a push pull partner. (that seems to be all that was covered in other posts) I tried to apply the hot fix 289327 but it comes back on all of my WINS servers and says it doesn't apply to this sp level. I also checked the configuration and fixed the one issue I found (Still seeing the error) I have also just turned of the "Use Persistent connection for replication" for this 2 partners (they are across a slower VPN connection) Any other ideas I could try or things I should look at would be great.
April 13th, 2010 2:10am

Hi , Is there an additional wins server configured ? , if so have you enabled push pull replication? I havent heard about windows server 2003 SP3 , are you talking about windows server 2003 sp2 ? Please do provide the event id information.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 13th, 2010 7:12am

Hi, Thanks for the post. A WINS event ID 4102 event message typically means that there is a communication failure during a WINS connection. This may occur if a WINS server is configured as a Push or Pull partner with a computer that is not configured as a partner with the first WINS server. Verify that all WINS Servers in the environment are correctly configured. You may also receive a WINS event ID 4102 event message if a rogue WINS Server is running on the network. To resolve the WINS 4102 event message: 1. Run a Network Monitor trace, and then identify the remote WINS server (Pull partner) that sends the "WINS: Stop Reason = Message Error" error message. 2. Follow either of the following steps: a. On the WINS server where the event ID 4102 is logged, remove the remote WINS server from the list of replication partners. b. On the remote WINS server (the pull partner), configure a push partner to replicate to. The push partner is the WINS server that logs the event ID 4102 message. Hope this helps.
April 13th, 2010 11:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics