Winning GPO is a GUID and does not contain settings?

Came into a company with a somewhat screwed up AD. Got what I thought was most everything cleaned up. Then ran into this issue today.

Need to update the GPO for Proxy Settings.  Edited the Connections\Proxy Settings waited for replication, GPUPDATE and got error message about Internet Explorer Zone Mapping.  Ran gpresult to get a HTML report and see the Internet Explorer Zone mapping and the error. 

Scroll down to Connections\Proxy Settings and see the winning GPO is a GUID pointed to a GPO that sets the Office Default File Save Formats.

I move my user object to a  Test OU, with a minimal amount of GPO's (no proxy GPO or Office File Format GPO), same thing.  I create a copy of the Proxy Seeting GPO apply to the Test OU, gpudate, run gpresult to get report and same thing, GUID is the winning GPO for Office Default File Format.

This is a first for me. any ideas on how to fix this?

August 19th, 2015 3:30pm

Hi Chris,

What version of IE is used on the user computers?

The Connections\Proxy Settings is an old Internet Explorer Maintenance setting which has been deprecated. Your IEM-configured settings will no longer work on computers running Internet Explorer 10 or newer.

So if you are using IE 10 or newer, IE will not process IEM anymore and the name cannot be resolved. See this thread for more information:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/f8d71160-374d-48f0-9a4a-03edaf7f67aa/gpo-ie-proxy-settings-show-guid-winning-gpo?forum=winserverDS

You might wang to update the old IEM settings with Group Policy Preferences. See this article for the Replacements for Internet Explorer Maintenance:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

Regards,

Eth

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 12:16am

Found this out after I posted.

Thanks for the help!

August 21st, 2015 2:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics