Windows update has error code 800A0046 when trying to update
Hi, Thank you for your post. Please perform steps below to troubleshooting: 1. Verify the issue if exists when clean boot your system 2. Remove MFP printer drivers & device, meanwhile remove all suspect devices from Device Manager following KB315539 3. Reset Windows Update following KB971058 If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know. RegardsRick Tan TechNet Community Support
February 22nd, 2012 9:01am

When trying to run Microsoft Update I get a message to "please change your Internet Explorer security settings" and an error 800A0046. The suggestion is to enable Userdata persistence and it is enabled. The hardware is an HP Proliant ML350 G5 server with 2 Intel Xeon processors. It is running Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition SP2 and has 12 GB of RAM. I have tried a variety of methods to get the system to work and have so far been unsuccessful. One suggestion was to get a command prompt and type "net stop bits" and then "net stop wuauserv." "Net stop bits" worked, but "net stop wuauserv" received a "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied" message. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/8dc4430b-3e4b-44c2-b4e4-f21215dd632b includes a command involving wuauserv and again I receive a message "Access is denied". I tried to let the Windows Troublshooter search for and fix the problem. It found two problems but could not fix them. I am doing this logged in as administrator with full rights. Yesterday the computer went down with the Blue Screen of Death in the middle of the afternoon. I could find no errors in the Application Event Viewer for the time the system crashed. I could see services starting as it came back up. When I logged in I did receive a message that there may be a driver or device conflict. I had made no changes to any devices on this system for several months and I was getting errors about updating for quite a while. About 6 weeks ago I did add a new MFP printer to the system and loaded all the drivers for it from the manufacturer's CD, but I was receiving update errors before this addition.;
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2012 4:30pm

Hi, Thank you for your post. Please perform steps below to troubleshooting: 1. Verify the issue if exists when clean boot your system 2. Remove MFP printer drivers & device, meanwhile remove all suspect devices from Device Manager following KB315539 3. Reset Windows Update following KB971058 If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know. RegardsRick Tan TechNet Community Support
April 8th, 2012 1:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics