Windows update error 9c48

I am building a brand new windows server 2008 r 2 server, and I am running all updates and patches. I have already installed IE9, but it keeps on showing up as an Important update. When I try to run "install updates" again, it errors out with a 9c48 error. This is the second time in a row this error has happened, any ideas?

Thanks,

Erik

April 12th, 2012 4:41pm

Please check that thread; http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/2c252dbe-c833-424d-9b75-4948bb8fb816

It's a know issue, there is a patch that cause the problem, some workaround exist, but better check the other thread.

Thanks

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 12th, 2012 4:50pm

I seem to have solved the problem on my computer. I am installing Windows 7 Home Premium, but reading through this thread, the symptoms look similar enough. Please let me know if this also works for you.

The basic premise seems to be that the IE9 installer that is online in Windows Update and even the IE9 consumer site is bad. So if we try to pull the installer from these online sources after April 10, we would always get a bad copy, whether it's from Windows Update or from a manual installation. You would know you have a bad installation if the version number in the "About Internet Explorer" dialog does not match the version number stored in the iexplore.exe executable. A good installation would have the version number displayed for both as 9.0.8112.16421. On my other computer with an old installation that updated without problems, this is indeed the version number being displayed.

Based on this observation and taking a cue from Spectrum7glr's post about installations prior to April 10 working perfectly, I tried to locate an installer that would have binaries before April 10. Luckily, I was able to find one from Microsoft's Download Center.  Here's a link to the version for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23332

Instructions:

1. Uninstall IE9, if you already have it installed, and restart the computer.
  2. Download the installer.
  3. Disconnect from the internet. This is important because the installer attempts to download the latest, bad binaries from Windows Update.
  4. Let the install finish, and restart.
  5. Reconnect to the internet and check Windows Update. If all went well, you should be able to see the Cumulative Update for IE9, instead of IE9 itself.

Again, the key is to install without any internet connection, to prevent the installer from fetching the latest and bad binaries.

Let me know if this works for you. I need to step out now, but will return later to perform further confirmation.

Thanks and regards! Good luck to us.

The above steps solved this problem according to another similar thread. It turns out to be caused by the bad IE9 installer. Using an earlier known good installer worked.  

Thanks
Zhang

April 13th, 2012 4:44am

Hi All,

Just to let everyone know that steps in the last post works great.  Thanks to the one who figure it out.

Starzoneca

April 13th, 2012 1:05pm

http://go.microsoft.com/?linki.....tid=MATSKB

Download to Desktop and Run.

• Proposed as answer by auntiecons Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:24 PM
July 4th, 2012 6:12am

Great, you reported this issue 2012, I had the same problem THREE YEARS LATER.

THANK YOU MICROSOFT FOR FIXING YOUR BINARIES !!!!!!!

And now, really *thank you* (Boo_MonsterInc or Zhang, whoever was the contributor finally), after reinstalling that computer five times due to that IE9 issue, I finally found this as a legit solution!

THANK YOU MICROSOFT FOR ***NOT*** FIXING THIS ISSUE WITHIN THREE (!!!!!!!!)  YEARS!

June 19th, 2015 11:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics